The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2009, 04:55 PM

K.Gro is on a distinguished road
Default Welded loops on fly lines

Hey all, I am new to fly fishing and I was wondering if most fly lines come standard with welded loops. Some lines advertise having a loop and some don't. I have been reading all over the place and I am trying to figure out if only the lines that tell of a loop in the description are the only ones that have loops. I know this is probably a foolish question, but we all know how a newbie can be. Thanks
Old 03-25-2009, 07:16 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Welded loops on fly lines

K,

Some do some don't. Not a good firm answer but the only one I have for you. I use S.A. Mastery and Cortland Laser Lines and I don't believe either of them come with the loop.

I use a nail knot so it doesn't matter to me but if you are going to fish for trout with light lines you may want to be sure of the loop issue prior to buying.

Ard
Old 03-30-2009, 04:08 PM

K.Gro is on a distinguished road

Well thanks for the insight Hardyreels, the reason I ask is I don't want to make a mistake and order fly lines with the loop. Most of the folks I have spoken to tell me that the loops get hung up in the guides. As a newbie to the sport, I figure I don't need anything other then myself getting in the way of learning how to cast. Thanks again...
Old 03-30-2009, 04:23 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

you can always cut the loop off
Old 03-30-2009, 07:32 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I use the welded loops until the finish cracks then cut them off. I've not had them get caught on the guides as of yet. I do like the double flotation they provide right where it's needed most, at the tip.
Once snipped off you can also make your own loop by doubling the line back on itself and whip finishing it a couple times.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:59 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Gro View Post
Well thanks for the insight Hardyreels, the reason I ask is I don't want to make a mistake and order fly lines with the loop. Most of the folks I have spoken to tell me that the loops get hung up in the guides. As a newbie to the sport, I figure I don't need anything other then myself getting in the way of learning how to cast. Thanks again...

If they were that much of a problem the major manu. would not offer them. If you use them right they make a pretty smooth conection & you can change leaders pretty easily.I have both looped & straight where I use a nail knot... If I'm using a 2 or 3 wt.with small tip tops & guides I'll use a needle nail knot... If you don't like the loop cut it off but be sure to seal the end of the line so it doesn't wick water up the center of the line
Old 05-01-2009, 03:01 PM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road

Even if they did get caught occasionally, it would only happen if you reeled your line it to where the leader is within the guides. Unless you're using a leader much longer than your rod, you should seldom have that happening, especially if you use a net for your fish.

I would think that the welded loop would be a much smoother connection than a knot, anyway. I usually nail knot a new leader to a new fly line, and when the leader gets worn out I cut the leader about 8 inches from the fly line and tie a perfection loop in it, and then use loop to loop from there. With two perfection knots (one in the leader, one in the loop) there would be double the chances of it being hung up, and it's never been a problem for me.

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system
Old 05-31-2009, 03:13 AM

Angling Sidekick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHN50 View Post
If they were that much of a problem the major manu. would not offer them. If you use them right they make a pretty smooth conection & you can change leaders pretty easily.I have both looped & straight where I use a nail knot... If I'm using a 2 or 3 wt.with small tip tops & guides I'll use a needle nail knot... If you don't like the loop cut it off but be sure to seal the end of the line so it doesn't wick water up the center of the line

Ok another newbie question since I myself am just getting started.
How do you seal flyline after it's been cut?
Old 05-31-2009, 02:37 PM

kruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the rough

I know Some of the S.A mastery offer the loop, I got the S.A GPX and it has it also Rio Grand offers it. I have never had any trouble with the loops and the guides, I like the versatility the loops offer changing leaders.

As for the ? about sealing cut fly line, I heard aquaseal(wader repair stuff) works well.