The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2009, 08:08 PM

Shane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the rough
Default Too soft?

I have two rods I always take to the river. They are both identical models, but one is a 6 wt and the other is an 8 wt. The 8 wt has Monic WF8F clear line on it. The 6 wt has a clearance rack special line on it. I bought it on the way to the river after discovering that the wife's cat had played with my line. It was ten bucks for the spool. Surprisingly, it floats like a cork and casts like a dream.

Anyway, here's the issue. Today I had 2X leaders on both, with a brown bugger, size six. The 6wt carried the fly much better, and even farther into a slight head wind. All I can figure is that the Monic line is too soft and supple to carry well.

For those who don't know it, Monic clear line is great stuff. It has absolutely no memory and is about as limp as a wet noodle. That softness does make it tend to cut easily in rocks and weeds, but otherwise it's great line. So, is it possible that the line is just too supple to carry well in wind?

As a side thought, I hear that silk line is incredibly supple, but due to its thin diameter for its weight, it carries well in wind.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:22 PM

GRN will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Too soft?

Maybe, but it may have more to do with the difference in the tapers.

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford