The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2009, 09:03 PM

abrysdam is on a distinguished road
Default Leaders/Tippet for WF8F

I have typically fished strictly for smaller trout in smaller rivers. I am just finishing up a new set up (Scott A2 908-4 w/ Ross CLA 4) and am trying to figure out what size and brand leaders tippet you all typically use.

Fishing will be mainly for salmon and steelhead on medium sized rivers.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:51 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Leaders/Tippet for WF8F

Hi,

I gotta tell you a few things before what I say may make sense.

One time a guy told me he had landed twenty three large steelhead in a day in November on a NY river (average daylight in November about 9.5 hours) using 4lb tippet and a size sixteen black stone fly nymph. I did the math and decided that based on my experience at landing steelhead they either swam strait to shore and unto the gravel or he was embellishing the facts. Go figure, 4lb test, 12lb or bigger
fish maybe 15 - 20 minutes. each if you don't break them off. Heck that's roughly four an hour and it would take six hours just to land them. Humm.....................

Unless you need light line and if you are using an 8wt rod I don't know why you would ever go with a light line, in other words if you are going to fish a 4 - 6lb tippet why not use a 9' 5wt. rod?

I use level fluorocarbon as a tippet for both salmon & steelhead. The lightest I go is 12lbs. and if the fish are running big make that 20lbs. For king salmon I use 25lb Maxima and usually don't snap them off. I use 7 & 9wt rods for them.

I once had a fellow stop to chat with me on the Salmon River in NY. and when he learned that I was using 25lb leader he promptly told me that I would have a diminished chance for success with a heavy line like that. He recommended that I fish no heavier than 8 - 10lb. We said our goodbyes and good luck's and he went on his way. I didn't bother to tell him that I had caught and released seven, (7) kings that morning so far and had a few come off the fly. True story! It doesn't take long to land a fish if the rod and THE TIPPET are strong enough. I would guess that ten minutes is about accurate.

So, heavy rod = heavy line, drive the hook home and lean into the fish like you mean it. You'll be able to land them before dark.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:17 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

How do you plan to fish? Chuck and ducK? Indicator? Swinging Streamers? Since typically there isn't alot of finesse involved with some of these methods, you don't have to get too fancy or complicated with your leaders. In alot of cases, straight mono will suffice.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 04-01-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
How do you plan to fish? Chuck and ducK? Indicator? Swinging Streamers? Since typically there isn't alot of finesse involved with some of these methods, you don't have to get too fancy or complicated with your leaders. In alot of cases, straight mono will suffice.
I would say mostly swinging streamers, but probably a little bit of all, but I'm not a huge fan of chuck and duck...has just never seemed like fly fishing to me.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi,

I gotta tell you a few things before what I say may make sense.

One time a guy told me he had landed twenty three large steelhead in a day in November on a NY river (average daylight in November about 9.5 hours) using 4lb tippet and a size sixteen black stone fly nymph. I did the math and decided that based on my experience at landing steelhead they either swam strait to shore and unto the gravel or he was embellishing the facts. Go figure, 4lb test, 12lb or bigger
fish maybe 15 - 20 minutes. each if you don't break them off. Heck that's roughly four an hour and it would take six hours just to land them. Humm.....................

Unless you need light line and if you are using an 8wt rod I don't know why you would ever go with a light line, in other words if you are going to fish a 4 - 6lb tippet why not use a 9' 5wt. rod?

I use level fluorocarbon as a tippet for both salmon & steelhead. The lightest I go is 12lbs. and if the fish are running big make that 20lbs. For king salmon I use 25lb Maxima and usually don't snap them off. I use 7 & 9wt rods for them.

I once had a fellow stop to chat with me on the Salmon River in NY. and when he learned that I was using 25lb leader he promptly told me that I would have a diminished chance for success with a heavy line like that. He recommended that I fish no heavier than 8 - 10lb. We said our goodbyes and good luck's and he went on his way. I didn't bother to tell him that I had caught and released seven, (7) kings that morning so far and had a few come off the fly. True story! It doesn't take long to land a fish if the rod and THE TIPPET are strong enough. I would guess that ten minutes is about accurate.

So, heavy rod = heavy line, drive the hook home and lean into the fish like you mean it. You'll be able to land them before dark.

Hardy,
I appreciate the thoughts. Basically, the moral is I'm using an 8 wt rod with WF 8 line, why would I use a light tippet. For my locations (small to medium sized rivers in Michigan), keep a strong tippet on. Any suggestions on a range of sizes to have "in stock"?
Old 04-16-2009, 08:56 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

I personally usually use 8 lb test when fishing salmon in Michigan. I want to make sure tippet is the weakest link, so I have the ability to break a fish off if I want (i.e. if a fish is accidentally snagged). Of course, I'm not all that concerned about landing every fish, I most appreciate the first few minutes of fight out of a salmon, once they hunker down, it gets to be work to actually land them. Again, just personal preference, I've fished for salmon for a long time and know I can land fish if I really put my mind to it.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 04-30-2009, 09:24 AM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

I have to think you have to deal with each piece of water and it's conditions separately. I fish the Erie Tribs and in OCT when it is low and clear I was using 4# floro using is single egg to get bit and taking a long time to get them in. In late Dec I was using 12# seguar and bring them in pretty quick. The tribs steelhead I think average around 7# or so. That all being said I have found in my short time fly fishing for steelhead that I had to adapt to the coditions. I do fish the heaviest tipet I can for conditions.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi abrysdam,

Here is a system that I used in Alaska for 15 years. It worked for me and I didn't have to buy a bunch of different leaders.

I would buy 5' or 4' tapered Salmon leaders in 0X and 1X. The OX is 10lb and and the 1X was 8.5lb. I could make the OX into a 1X or 2X by changing the tippet. If I wanted a lighter leader I could add a short (6") piece of 2X leader material and then add a 3X or 4X tippet. With the 1X leader I could add a 1X, 2X, or 3X tippet. If I had the 1X leader on I could add a short section of 3X and then a tippet of 4X. So this combination gave me leaders from 0X to 4X with very little work and only two sizes of leaders to buy.

This system worked for everything but King Salmon. I did carry one X2 Salmon leader that was 14lb. I don't think I ever used the X2 more than a few times with big Silvers.

Frank