The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2009, 12:47 AM

HookEmHorns will become famous soon enough
Default Furled Leader Question

Hey y'all,
I'm not really sure where this post should be, but this is the closest that I could find to leaders and tippet.

Anyway, I have heard from a lot of you and seen a few posts on other threads about leaders about how great furled leaders are. The thing that i was wondering was 1) What IS a furled leader?
2) What is it made of?
3) Can I make it myself? If so, what do I need to make them?
4) Do you add tippet onto the end of a furled leader just as if it were any other leader?
5) How are these leaders categorized? (I know the x number system for regular tapered leaders and such, is there a different one for furled leaders?)
6) Finally, What are some advantages to having a furled leader over a tapered leader? Some disadvantages?

I've just been hearing about how good these leaders are, I was just wondering how much better they really were. I saw this place that I can get some of these leaders in their magazine I got yesterday, but I didn't know if it was worth the price and all that good stuff. Here is a link to the shop that I can get these leaders, the place is actually one of the closest fly shops to my house (only being a hour and a half away! haha).

As always, any help is appreciated greatly!!!
Thanks y'all,
HookEmHorns
Old 04-11-2009, 07:06 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Furled Leader Question

Talk to Joni - Flygoddess, she makes and sells em for about 6 bucks. I just bought 4 more off her to load up my other rods.

Joni can give you all the technical info in terms of what and how they are made, and there are several places on the web that describe the making process.

Yes, you add tippet to them

Don't know how they are catagorized

They cast nice, lay out great, and if youget a knot in one, it is relatively easy to unknot.

How good are they, well, I like em so much I may never buy another non-furled leader.

Dave
Old 04-11-2009, 07:35 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Furled basically means to twist something. So you take a series of strands of material, and twist (furl) them into something resembling a rope. This is how leaders used to be made in the early days of Flyfishing, folks back then would take hair from a horse's tail, and twist it together.

The nice thing about this process, it allows you to vary the number of strands in the rope, so you end up with a tapered leader.

A furled leader typically is made up of about 100 feet of material, so the trick is to find a way to organize and manage all that material while you are twisting it. Most methods use a jig/fixture to do this, so usually the first step is to build yourself a fixture. There is a method that doesn't require a fixture, you start out with about 25' of line and twist and fold it as you go. It works ok to make a very basic leader, but not as slick as ones made with the more involved processes.

You can use a wide variety of materials, ranging from thread to mono (and of course, horse tail hairs). If you want to get more details, go out to google and do a search on Furled leaders, you'll find alot of good references, with pictures.

If you'd like to try one before you get too involved with the whole process, you won't have any trouble finding a furled leader on Ebay, you can easily get one delivered to your door for $5 (sometimes less). Again, just do a search in Ebay on Furled Leader.

Most furled leaders will be designed to balance with a certain range of line sizes, and of course, the other variable is the actual length of the furled leader itself. You will attach a tippet to the end of the furled leader, one big advanatge is that the furled leader turns over very well, so you can fish long tippets (certainly up to 3, 4, 5 or more feet long)

Hope that helps.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 04-11-2009, 12:26 PM

HookEmHorns will become famous soon enough

Ok. A couple of follow up questions... Sorry guys.

1) Do furled leaders sink or float? I'm sure that it isn't as easy as sink or float, but you get the idea...
2) It looks kind of complicated to make these leaders... Is there any books out there with lots of pictures and details? haha. Im definitely a visual learner! haha

Thanks again y'all,

HookEmHorns
Old 04-11-2009, 03:40 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Do they float or sink? yep. It really depends om what material is used. You'll find most tend to be rather neutral. If you want a sinking leader, you are probably best off using flourocarbon. I fish mostly dry, and never apply a floatant to my leader, works fine.

To be honest, if you really want to fish deep, you are probably best off using a single strand leader. It will end up having a thinner diameter and therefore less resistance when sinking.

If as I told you earlier, you go look in Google and you will find plenty of pictures and diagrams regrading how to make a fixture, along with plenty of formulas. There is also a furl leader forum which has a wealth of information, and lots of pictures.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo