The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Lines (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-lines/)
-   -   DT fly line. (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-lines/8968-dt-fly-line.html)

swirlchaser 04-14-2009 06:27 PM

DT fly line.

Hey guys, I read a few threads about DT vs WF lines but the assumption is that you actually know what one is.:tongue:
I've never fished a DT line, what are the physical differences? Casting differences?

Hardyreels 04-14-2009 07:01 PM

Re: DT fly line.

Swril,

They cast fine, they have a heavy belly as opposed to a heavy front section and a running line type rear. They have a taper on both ends so if you dry fly fish, after a few years you reverse them and have a new front taper. Did that make any sense?

I'm sure there are sites or threads here with diagrams to show you the different characteristics of each type line.

Rip Tide 04-14-2009 07:23 PM

Weight forward lines are better for distance casting
DTs excel at mending and roll casting
...as long if you're talkin' distances over 30'
in the first 30' of the taper, they're pretty much the same

swirlchaser 04-14-2009 07:28 PM

Thanks Guys,

I want to overline my 7WT for LargeMouth and my 9WT lines are too much. Distance isn't really and issue, I wade for LM and every time I cast more that 40' I end up in a bush anyway.
I notice the DT lines are cheaper for some reason, I can't imagine they cost any less to produce. I guess they are no longer the latest and greatest?

Rip Tide 04-15-2009 07:29 AM

Rod companies like to push faster action rods...:rolleyes:
People buy fast action rods and come to believe that they are what's best for 'their style of casting'
Fast action rods tend to work best with weight forward lines.
Therefore DT lines are rarely used to their advantage.

No longer the latest and the greatest ?
depends on who you're asking

Frank Whiton 04-15-2009 08:03 AM

Hi swirlchaser,

You can see in the diagrams the difference in the design of the same line in a WF Taper and a Double Taper fly line.

Frank

Weight Forward Taper
http://solutions.3m.com/3MContentRet...ersion=current

Double Taper
http://solutions.3m.com/3MContentRet...ersion=current

swirlchaser 04-16-2009 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip Tide (Post 56659)
Rod companies like to push faster action rods...:rolleyes:
People buy fast action rods and come to believe that they are what's best for 'their style of casting'
Fast action rods tend to work best with weight forward lines.
Therefore DT lines are rarely used to their advantage.

No longer the latest and the greatest ?
depends on who you're asking

Thanks Rip, thats what I was looking for, my 7WT is probably closer to medium than fast so I'll take a shot with a DT line.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Houniac 05-18-2009 01:44 PM

If you are throwing big bass bugs you probably want a WF line

Hardyreels 05-18-2009 02:08 PM

Swirlchaser,

You will no doubt get lots of response to this question. In short the DT line has a heavy belly and a taper on both ends. They cast well and mend / roll cast very well due to the weight in the belly of the line. WF's have a taper followed by a short belly then the rest is essentially running line.

It is really a matter of choice for you based on experience with the various lines. We can spend time splitting hairs and discussing what lines are used in casting tournaments or use what ever feels good to us. I use DT's on almost all my rigs and don't seem to experience any of the problems that people describe having with them. Yes I sometimes cast long too. When I first started buying quality lines they were almost all DT and you had to search for a 'Rocket Taper' then the market decided that weight forward should be the line of choice and DT lines became scarce. The same thing happened with down locking reel seats. Almost all the rods I bought pre 1985 were down locker's then suddenly they were all up locking seats. Being a sort of eccentric I have changed some of my seats on favorite rods to down lockers and bought enough DT lines to last me through the next swing in the market.

Others will disagree with my assessment on lines but then I'm just some guy who fishes and writes his biased opinions on a fly fishing forum, I am not certified by anyone or any organizations as an authority on lines or rods.

My advise, try one.

Ard

KRD 05-18-2009 04:50 PM

I use both. I like dt's for my small stream rods . So really I get 2 lines in one box. What I do rather than putting the whole line on the reel and run the chance of line memory when I want to flip it over. So I run out the box of new line, double it over making sure the tips are the same and have a friend walk till he hit the middle and have him but it. Then put one on the reel and one on the plastic spool.

I can cast both just fine.