The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2011, 11:04 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default repair for running line

Hi...I looked for a thread about this. If I missed it, please just point me there.

About 35 feet from the tip my Mastery series type V sink tip got pinched under a rivet in a drift boat. The rivet took a "bite" out of one side of the line, exposing the core. I'd estimate the actual exposed core to be approx 1/32".

Is there a repair for that? I suspect the line is a goner, but it's a favorite of mine and I hate to lose it...

I sent an email to SA and they responded by suggesting I send in my rod for repair. I didn't find that particularly helpful.

Thanks for any help...-Mike
Old 01-05-2011, 11:21 AM

Davec921 has a spectacular aura aboutDavec921 has a spectacular aura aboutDavec921 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: repair for running line

I am no expert but since it is such a small spot you might look at shoe goop or a uv epoxy that stay flexible. And smooth it on the spot.
If it works great it it does not then what do you have to lose.
hope that helps
DAVE
Old 01-05-2011, 01:32 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I have spliced many a lines with mono and the Shimazaki-Leader-Splicer-Tool

Shimazaki Leader Splicer Tool - Great Needle Knots!! - eBay (item 260687454801 end time Feb-01-11 21:43:07 PST)

Just need the tool, Zap-A-Gap (or any other waterproof super glue), piece of sandpaper, and piece of mono .
Very clean repair. Might be a little stiff on the glue dots but that is it and it is strong.
Visual pretty to.

Last edited by Joni; 01-05-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Sounds like Dave & Joni have answered your problem. I'm such a hacker that unless I thought the line was going to pop in that spot I'd probably put a dab of Aqua Seal on it and forget it. But if I thought it would pop then I'd go with Joni's splice.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-05-2011, 02:19 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Thanks Joni...that looks like the way to go.

Dave and Hardy...my first thought was aquaseal, but I'm definitely afraid it'll just break, as it looks and feels weak. It's a line used swinging for steelies, so it's either really fix it or trash it.

Thanks again to all...-Mike
Old 01-05-2011, 02:20 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
I sent an email to SA and they responded by suggesting I send in my rod for repair. I didn't find that particularly helpful.
That's pretty funny
Old 01-05-2011, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi mikelk,

If the core is not damaged this is how I would do it.

Take a fly tying bobbin and cover the spot with thread over the spot and a quarter inch on each side. You Spin the bobbing around the line, holding the fly line in your hands using your thumb nails to guide the wraps. If you do a good job the area will just be slightly larger than the diamater of the fly line. Cover with several coats of Pliobond letting each coat dry before the next.

Here is a link to a post that show you how to make the whipped wraps. Scan down the thread and there is a video that shows the procedure.

The method that I show at the top of the thread to make a loop can also be used to splice two pieces of fly line together. You strip the two ends, upbraid the core, lay them side by side and whip over with thread. Add Pliobond and it is very strong. You will end up with a splice that is about 5/8" long.

Frank

Last edited by Frank Whiton; 01-06-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:37 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Frank if the core isn't cut. Maybe do the thread (which you could match color with thread .... LOL) and try maybe even Knot Sense to coat.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:30 PM

Well...I thought I'd give SA another try, so called them and chatted with their tech guy. His suggestion, since the core is NOT cut or damaged is exactly what Frank came up with. I don't tie, but have friends who do...so should be able to get this done with little effort.

Thank you all again...nice to be able to ask questions and get help!

-Mike
Old 01-05-2011, 07:09 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I have done the Pliobond method. It works well.

MP