The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 03:09 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Anyone use Sage Quiet DT II? $35 on E-Bay!

I now have 2 Sage TXL's, 370-3 and the 4710-3. The Sage Quiet Taper II was manufactured specifically for these rods? There is one E-Bay vendor with about 72 of these to sell in all weights 000-5wt,and they are being closed-out at 35 +5 shipping. I posted partially just to let people know about this deal, because I am aware of quite a few of you who have the TXL, but I also would be interested in any comments, reviews from anyone who may have already used the Quiet Double Taper II.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:57 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone use Sage Quiet DT II? $35 on E-Bay!

It is a fine line. It has an interesting taper to it. The QTII is basically two weight forward lines fused in the middle. It has most of the mass in the head. Then it tapers down to the midsection. It was designed to load the faster TXL rods quickly with little line out.

MP
Old 01-11-2011, 08:31 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

I've seen the taper diagram on this. How does it cast when you get half of you line out trying to get some distance and then it starts to get heavier again? Do you lose the ability to cast the remainder of your line or can you cast way into the second half without any trouble? This also is only an 80' line, so halfway is only 40 ft. I'm not sure Ill have to worry about getting 60' out with the 4wt txl anyways.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:46 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Let's be realistic about a short creek rod. A 40 foot cast is a very long cast. I wouldn't worry about the line past the midsection because you won't be using it.

MP
Old 01-11-2011, 08:55 PM

It is the 7'10" 4 wt, so it is more than JUST a creek rod. I threw the WF line in the yard and had 50 feet of the line out. Like I said, I have never thrown a DT before, but am I correct in assuming that I am trading a little of that distance for finesse? Or maybe alot of that distance?
Old 01-11-2011, 11:21 PM

You are going to give up a little distance for finesse.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:44 AM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
I've seen the taper diagram on this. How does it cast when you get half of you line out trying to get some distance and then it starts to get heavier again? Do you lose the ability to cast the remainder of your line or can you cast way into the second half without any trouble? This also is only an 80' line, so halfway is only 40 ft. I'm not sure Ill have to worry about getting 60' out with the 4wt txl anyways.
You won't, and you surely won't be carrying that much line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Let's be realistic about a short creek rod. A 40 foot cast is a very long cast. I wouldn't worry about the line past the midsection because you won't be using it.
MP
Mostly Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
It is the 7'10" 4 wt, so it is more than JUST a creek rod. I threw the WF line in the yard and had 50 feet of the line out. Like I said, I have never thrown a DT before, but am I correct in assuming that I am trading a little of that distance for finesse? Or maybe alot of that distance?
When I go out to 50' with this rod, I am risking a lot of tailing loops because I am pushing the limits of the power that this rod will accept. When I do shoot 40-45' I am typically carrying no more than 30-35' and I am shooting the rest.

The Quiet Taper Lines were made for the TXL, so I can't imagine you'd have a problem. I personally use a Rio Gold WF4F on mine. I'm tempted to pick up some of that Quiet Taper II though.