The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 01:51 PM

flyguy2 is on a distinguished road
Default Allen Fly Lines ?

I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on the fly lines offered by Allen Co? I am hoping they are as good as their fly reels.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:04 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Re: Allen Fly Lines ?

I only have experience with their WFF lines, but in my opinion they are excellent. I wouldn't put them up their with RIO, but when it comes to the WWF I will only use Allen & Co fly lines. As RIO and others are not enough better IMO to warrant paying more.

His reels on the other hand I like as well as the Abels I used to own, which IMO is saying whole lot. Justin's (Allen & Co) reels are top notch and I'll find out soon whether the same is true for his Nano Ti fly rods. However I assume they are just as good.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:15 PM

araitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nice

i dont have much experience with many other brands other than Prestige Plus fly line. i have Allen WFF 5 and WFF 8 and IMO the Allen line is FAR superior to the Prestige Plus fly line.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:49 PM

boser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura about

Yes, I have much experience with Allen Flylines. I have 3 wt, 5 wt, 8 wt and they work really well. I will never pay that high price again. IMO it is senseless to pay 50,60 dollars when you can get two colored WFF line for 16.50. The two colored line is really nice to use as a strike indicator when fishing streams....

Boser
Old 01-11-2011, 03:04 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Any of you guys know what it actually costs to make a fly line?
Old 01-11-2011, 03:23 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by imxer View Post
Any of you guys know what it actually costs to make a fly line?
If I knew it would likely really **** me off!
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:35 PM

flyguy2 is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone, that's all I needed to hear. I am off to do some shopping !!!!
Old 01-11-2011, 05:16 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Ive also really good success with Allen lines. Check out the sink tip lines as well if you've got an application for it. Ive got a 9wt WFF and a 9wt sink tip and I love them both.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 02-28-2011, 05:01 PM

hookworm is on a distinguished road

I have been using Allen fly lines for almost a season and can say I can't tell a big difference and for the price why pay more. I actually had a guy on the river ask me what kind of line I was using because it seemed to supple.
Justin, got another guy coming your way.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:19 PM
Business Member

allenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to all

Hi Guys.... Thanks for the feedback

Just came out with a new line. Were testing it now to make sure how to market it. Should be on the site soon.

Thanks again