The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2011, 05:55 PM

chicagojohn will become famous soon enoughchicagojohn will become famous soon enough
Default GPX Master Textured Series

I'm interested in reviews of the new Scientific Angler GPX Mastery Textured Series, especially the coastal express taper. How does the line sound running through the guides? How abrasive is it to the touch? I'm thinking of using the GPX coastal express on my 8 weight for surf fishing, large lake fishing, and as an alternative to the chuck and duck technique used in southern Lake Michigan streams where the small streams do not allow for long drifts to allow line to sink into th strike zone.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:18 AM

fishngolf16 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: GPX Master Textured Series

I asked a similar question on the main discussion page and got no response. Apparently no one has been testing this new line. I stopped by their booth at the Denver Sportsman's show and the reps were very excited about their new products. They would not stop going on about how the new textured lines will never sink. Never is an awful strong word. They also stated that the new line is not as loud as sharkskin but does make some noise running along the guides. I hope you get some responses I would like to know how this line compares to the sharkskin.

Last edited by fishngolf16; 01-25-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I'm quite curious to try them out as well, but just don't need any new lines right now.

From what I've read, they offer 80% of the shootability advantages of sharkskin with basically no finger abrasion. This is because the texture is dimpled into a cylindrical shape, rather than being raised ridges.

Also, to clarify, the whole series is called "Mastery Textured". The GPX model is one particular line in the group.

Mastery Textured Series - Lines

Here's a review from a guy who knows his stuff- Scientific Angler's Mastery Textured fly lines reviewed | Singlebarbed

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:04 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't used the new textured line either, but I did watch an episode on Fly Fish TV with Kelly Galloup the other day where Kelly was using the textured fly line and the guide in the drift boat mentioned he could hear the line as Kelly would cast. Kelly gave the line high marks.

Larry

Old 01-25-2011, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

Hmmm, this guy may know his stuff but this comment "Iíve lost more flesh and fingertips to the Sharkskin than I care to remember," makes me question his review. At least his experience has not happen with many others that use the Sharkskin line. It seems to me his exaggeration about the Sharkskin line is to make the new line sound better. At least that is how it struck me.

It does seem that the new Master Textured line gives us a choice between the extreme design of the Sharkskin and a moderate design of the Textured line.

Frank
Old 01-25-2011, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Everyone,

Hmmm, this guy may know his stuff but this comment "Iíve lost more flesh and fingertips to the Sharkskin than I care to remember," makes me question his review. At least his experience has not happen with many others that use the Sharkskin line. It seems to me his exaggeration about the Sharkskin line is to make the new line sound better. At least that is how it struck me.

It does seem that the new Master Textured line gives us a choice between the extreme design of the Sharkskin and a moderate design of the Textured line.

Frank
I think that was exaggeration, but I have indeed been opened up by it. Stripping it repeatedly over the first crease in a soggy index finger will do that.

The idea of it wearing guides is silliness though. Its soft plastic on metal fer cryin out loud.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:26 AM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
I haven't used the new textured line either, but I did watch an episode on Fly Fish TV with Kelly Galloup the other day where Kelly was using the textured fly line and the guide in the drift boat mentioned he could hear the line as Kelly would cast. Kelly gave the line high marks.

Larry
Interesting. SA makes several Streamer Express lines, a few of them with Kelly Galloup's name on them. They make a Sharkskin, and I think three or so different Mastery Series lines with various head lengths. I don' think they have a Mastery Textured version available to the public. Kelly must have been fishing the Sharkskin. I've heard the sharkskin pattern is less aggressive on the sinking lines that the floaters. That is just heresay.

Zach Matthews at Itinerant Angler just did a podcast interview with the Head Lab guy at SA. They discuss the Sharksin v. Mastery Textured products.

Itinerant Angler - Inside the Lab with SA's Tim Pommer
Old 01-26-2011, 10:28 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddombos2 View Post
Interesting. SA makes several Streamer Express lines, a few of them with Kelly Galloup's name on them. They make a Sharkskin, and I think three or so different Mastery Series lines with various head lengths. I don' think they have a Mastery Textured version available to the public. Kelly must have been fishing the Sharkskin. I've heard the sharkskin pattern is less aggressive on the sinking lines that the floaters. That is just heresay.

Zach Matthews at Itinerant Angler just did a podcast interview with the Head Lab guy at SA. They discuss the Sharksin v. Mastery Textured products.

Itinerant Angler - Inside the Lab with SA's Tim Pommer
ddombos2: On the TV show Kelly was using a floating line with an indicator (he wasn't throwing streamers), he was in the front of a drift boat and the guide mentioned he could hear the line when it was cast and either the guide or Kelly said it wasn't as loud as the Sharkskin and mentioned the golf ball texturing on the line wasn't as hard on the fingers. I have a Kelly Galloup 250 gr streamer express line for throwing big streamers on my Sage z-axis 7 wt, it is a great streamer line.

Larry

Old 03-26-2011, 07:51 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

I used a GPX Textured the other day stripping woolybuggers- no skin loss, moderate noise, loads of line shooting= the perfect line.