The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2011, 12:27 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Default Fly Line for Orvis Superfine Trout Bum 3-wt. rod

After long deliberation, I've ordered this rod, an Orvis Superfine Trout Bum 6'6" 2 1/8 oz. full 3.5 flex 3-wt. rod, for fly-fishing small overgrown streams where casting room is at a premium and trout are spooky. I'd appreciate any suggestions for an optimum fly line for this rod, particularly DT's, since I expect that most fly casting situations will call for a roll cast.

Thanks all.

Last edited by Fly2Fish; 01-16-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:24 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly Line for Orvis Superfine Trout Bum 3-wt. rod

First Choices: SA Mastery XPS DT or Rio Trout LT DT
Second Choices: Mastery Trout DT, or Ultimate Trout Taper DT

I don't have experience with the Wulff Triangle Taper lines, but I have fishing buddies who swear by them.

I also don't have experience with the newer DT taper Cortland lines. But I am impressed with its Precision Platnium WF line. It is more of an all around line though.

MP
Old 01-15-2011, 06:13 AM

estrother has a spectacular aura aboutestrother has a spectacular aura aboutestrother has a spectacular aura about
Default How far are you roll casting?

I have the same rod, and I have WF line on it. If your roll cast range is less than 25-30 ft, the profile of WF and DT should be the same. Of course the DT has 2 usable ends, but modern fly lines last so long.

I like having the WF to give me better distance (easier distance) during those limited times that I need it.

FWIW, most if not all of the Orvis lines are made by Rio; it might be easier to order a package.

I am sure that you will love your new rod. I was so pleased with mine that I bought a 1wt too.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:58 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

F2F...I found that my 6'6" full flex 2 wt likes a 3 wt line best when it's breezy, so I have uplined by 1 wt. If you're near a store that will let you cast different line weights you might check for that...-Mike
Old 01-15-2011, 02:00 PM

r reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nice

Crtland Silk DT love mine R Reese
Old 01-17-2011, 10:19 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Some great suggestions here. I don't know where else one could get this level of expert advice.

Estrother, I always order at least two fly lines for each reel I have. In this case, I ordered with the rod an on-sale Orvis Hy-Flote Extra Silver Label WF Floating 3-wt. Don't know anything about this line, but the price was definitely right for a WF line that I expect to use as a back-up to the double-taper I'm looking for for delicate presentations using roll-casting primarily (recognizing that many say that the first several dozen feet of line being cast doesn't make a difference in roll-casting capability between DT & WF).

Mikel, interesting concept. I'm now wondering if my several 4-wt. lines - bought for an entirely-different-use rod (my ZG Helios 104-4 Tip Flex 9.5, which I bought for tailwater nymphing) - might work for this 3-wt. rod intended for tight cover small stream conditions for spooky trout: Orvis Wonderline Gen.3 Power Taper WF4 & Orvis Wonderline Gen.3 WF4F Trout Easy Mend.

R Reese, this Cortland Sylk line gets a lot of positive reviews. I gather it's an imitation silk. Like the Wulff recommendation (below), these seem to be state-of-the-art new concept fly lines.

MP (Denis), interesting recommendations. I have used and like both Rio and SA lines. Interestingly enough, your suggestion (albeit untested) of Wulff Triangle Taper lines turned up a whole bunch of very positive reviews. What was particularly interesting about the Wulff was its great turnover characteristics, due no doubt to its unique taper characteristics. Carefully looking at your two prime recommendations, I'm edging toward the SA rather than the Rio, if only for price.

This will be a tough decision, but one with a lot of good advice - thanks, guys.

Cheers,
Neil