The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2009, 06:30 PM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice
Default Fly Line Lifespan

What is an acceptable life for a fly line? Or in other words - what is the expected durability? I have had a couple of fly lines crack through the plastic portion of the line right at the end of the line where it is welded together to form the welded loop - after fishing only 20-24 days (approximately 4-5 hours per day). When I complained to the vendor they did replace the lines, but stated that you should only expect about 200-300 hours from a welded loop before it cracks at the end of the line or breaks at the loop. After that you can cut off the loop and use a nail knot to connect the leader or tie on your own Perfection Loop. Is this what you have been experiencing?

Seems if you are paying $50-$60 for a premium quality flyline that it should last more than a couple hundred hours. What has your experience been?

Thanks,
Old 05-14-2009, 08:17 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Fly Line Lifespan

Consider those welded loops a temporary convenience. Sorta like the treads on a new tire, they will eventually wear out.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:07 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

I try to replace my fly lines about once a year if not sooner. After that they start to loose bouyancy and just aren't as fluid as far as movement goes.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:47 PM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

Well I have had the same thing occur with one of the replacement fly lines. After fishing for 4 days, about 4-5 hours per day, one of the new replacement fly lines crack through the plastic portion of the line right at the end of the line where it is welded together to form the welded loop. I agree with Jackster that the loops ar temporary, but when you are paying $65-$70 for a premium fly line (Rio Gold WF5F) you expect more than 20 hours of fishing before the loop weld begins to break down.

Perhaps it is the way I am casting. Is there any bad habit that I may be doing that could be causing the line to crack where the end is welded? e.g., is there something I should (or should not) be doing? Thanks,
Old 06-23-2009, 11:16 AM

lifesaflyin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmaster View Post

Perhaps it is the way I am casting. Is there any bad habit that I may be doing that could be causing the line to crack where the end is welded? e.g., is there something I should (or should not) be doing? Thanks,
you may be whipping it. i noticed when i let a new guy use my rod he whipped it and the loop to loop was pulled tight enough to mangle the line loop

oh yea...im liking the rio gold better then the grand.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:08 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, you may have hit the nail on the head. I wondered if I could be causing the problem. The last trip I was casting a ways out there with a pretty stiff wind, so I was working the line pretty hard; in fact I actually popped off a fly when I accidently pressed too hard before the line could straighten out behind me.

So any repair suggestions?? Am I better off trying to repair the line (e.g. seal the outer layer break with superglue) or should I just cut off the welded loop and nail on a new monofiliment loop?

Thanks,
Old 06-24-2009, 12:16 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Brewmaster,

Super Glue will harden. Pliobond would be a better choice. Connecting a short piece of mono with a nail knot is a pretty standard method.

Frank