The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2009, 08:31 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Default Shooting Head/Line for Z-Axis 11'7 weight

Recently I cast my friend's 8-weight XP with a shooting head, and was amazed what a difference it made in a windy situation. This got me thinking that such a line with a shooting head would be a good addition to my Sage Z-Axis 11' 7 wt. switch rod. Does anyone have any line/shooting head recommendations for my Z-Axis?
Old 05-24-2009, 10:42 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice
Default Re: Shooting Head/Line for Z-Axis 11'7 weight

I put GPX sharkskin on my 10' Z and loved it. I still like by G2 better but the Sharkskin really worked great.. Now maybe this was my first experience of a 10' rod over 9's and 8'6". And the Z was a 5wt with the GPX being 5wt as well. But I think the GPX is traditionally a little heaver.. almost like a 6.

And I have actually got to admit it.. the mendability of the Sharkskin is really great...

If you really want to have fun.. Look up "Jump Roll Cast" on U tube. It isn't traditional "Roll Cast" like you would think. Anyway you can get a ton of line speed trying it. And I actaully am learning to use double streamers with it.

I don't know if a Wolfe Triangle Taper at the heavier weight would work or not.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:45 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Fly 2 Fish,

What line are you using on it right now. RIO makes a bunch of heads and Spey lines. Read this article for some good information that is guaranteed to confuse you more. Only kidding it is a good article. It does explain the multiple line numbers in Spey lines.

Frank
Old 05-29-2009, 12:11 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Hi, Frank, sorry I am late in responding to your question. I'm currently using a Rio Windcutter 455gr (30gms, whatever that means) "6/7/8F (S7)", with a 49 ft. Head. And that is an excellent article you linked.

Neil