The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2009, 10:27 PM

smtippin is on a distinguished road
Default Maxima Leader Question

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot...First post.

I searched through archives but couldn't find the right answer, so here we go. I've been fishing for a little while, but have never tied my own 'hand tied' leader. I'm looking to start and have a possibly foolish question. I know the formulas for the different weight leaders and different flies and all, but I don't know what color maxima leader material to buy (chameleon, clear, or ultragreen). I'll fish with dry's as much as possible in rivers, streams, and lakes.

My inclination is to buy clear and I would have done it without thinking if it were available in my local fly shop, but it isn't (mostly chameleon). That leaves me with the big box outdoor sports shops and although I have nothing against them, I do prefer to support the local businesses. Then again, I bring a creel with me fishing and fill it with trash and put my trout back in the water.

Thank you in advance for any help and advice you can share,
s
Old 06-03-2009, 08:45 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Maxima Leader Question

I use the chameleon, mostly because that's what I have.
Supposedly the dark shaded chameleon blends in better subsurface, while the clear makes for a better surface presentation.
The ultragreen is more supple.
I use the chameleon for the butt and midsections of my leaders, but switch to a more supple clear material for the tippet, so in my case the color makes little difference (I think)