The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2011, 12:22 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Fly line life expectency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
There was a large black mark in the middle of the WF belly, which turned out to be a burn mark from the ember from a smoke, either mine or my buddy's
Which brings up a big plus for smolking... you can perform world record distance casts. I should know, I've done it!

The very first time out with a brand new Expert Distance line at my practice field I layed the line out, did a few false casts and on the final haul/cast I let 'er rip! That line must have gone 140-150' with ease.
Impressive no?
That was just the head. I cigarette managed to sever the running line so the head flew with zero friction. It was cool and it sucked at the same time. Long cast and ruined line.

My lines generally last a very long time. I am a firm believer in not only cleaning the lines but making sure they're slick. I'm convinced that sometimes cleaning alone can ruin lines. They lose their slickness and really stress-out going through guides on both the casts and in retrieving... with or without a fish on the other end.
On the modern lines with slickness built right in to the coating I like the dry slickness that the micro-abrasive pads bring to the surface. It does not attract dirt and algae. On lines that need 'go juice' to be slick I like the treatment that you have to work at such as Rio Agent-X or Glide. This stuff you have to let set and then buff it in so in essence it's another dry, slick treatment.