The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Patterns

Comment

LinkBack Tutorial Tools Display Modes
Salmon Fly Tutorials  --  The Jock O'Dee Pattern  -  Part 1
Salmon Fly Tutorials -- The Jock O'Dee Pattern - Part 1
Published by Pocono
03-25-2011
Default Salmon Fly Tutorials -- The Jock O'Dee Pattern - Part 1

Jock O’Dee - Step-by-Step - The Body

As described by T. Pryce-Tannatt in his book: How to Dress Salmon Flies: A Handbook for Amateurs.

Here’s the last pattern in Pryce-Tannat's book; a Dee style pattern called the Jock O’Dee.

The name of the fly derives from the yellow/black body, the silver tinsel tag and the GP topping/Indian Crow tail; which are all similar to those on the Jock Scott built wing pattern. And that’s where the similarities stop. Everything else; particularly the placement of the wing strips, is different.

Dee flies are generally tied on large, heavy hooks (irons); the normal size hook being in the range of 1 ½-2 ½” or a #2 up to a #5/0. I tied mine on a #1 because I had a new hook that I wanted to try; a return eye Salmon style hook, but one with a much flatter eye, making it look more like a gut-eyed iron than what you find on hooks like the Partridge Bartleet CS10/1.

Here’s the step-by step. This pattern is similar to the Spey pattern in complexity, but I took a lot of pics of the steps and, therefore, I have to post it in two sections, due to restrictions on the number of pics that can be put into a single post.

So, body first:

1. Here’s the new hook. I really like it. I got it as a demo from John McLain at FeathersMC back in the late Fall. It’s simply labeled “Dave’s new hook”. I hope Dave keeps making them!

Click the image to open in full size.

2. Thread the hook to the back. Then, tie in the small oval silver tinsel with 4 flattened wraps and form the butt with 6-8 turns of tinsel. Tie off the tinsel with 3-4 wraps.

3. Now, select a Golden Pheasant topping, prepare it by stripping the excess barbs off the feather and tie it in upside down with 4-5 flattened wraps.

4. Next, tie in an Indian Crow sub feather on top of the GP topping; tie it in flat with 3-4 flattened wraps. [Note: I let the Indian Crow feather sit hard on the GP topping; Dee style patterns are generally elongated and I decided to get some extra length out of this pattern by extending the tail outward way past the bend. It's just a personal choice.]

5. Now, form the underbody. I use white Uni Stretch; tied in at the head, and wound flat down to the tail bulge, then back up to the head and tied off.

You can smooth up the underbody with a burnisher, if you want to. You want to keep the body very thin, because that is one of the distinguishing characteristics of Dee style flies.

6. Now wind your flattened thread back to the tail and tie in the medium oval silver tinsel on the underside of the hook.

7. Next, tie in the flat silver tinsel on the underside of the hook; just in front of the oval tinsel. [Note: if you’re using flat gold/silver mylar tinsel, remember silver side up – wraps silver; gold side up – wraps gold.]

8. Next, tie in the yellow floss at a point 2/5th back from the eye, using 4 flattened wraps. Wind the floss down to the tail and then back up to the tie-in point using butt wraps. Tie it off with 4 flattened wraps, cut off the floss waste ends and bury them with 3 more flattened wraps.

9. Now, wrap the silver tinsel up the hook three times. At this point, turn the fly upside down and mark the underbody with a pen just behind the spot where the 3rd wrap meets the body on the bottom of the hook. Next, prepare a Spey hackle substitute, just the same way that you did for the Green King, by folding the hackle and stripping the barbs off the side the will be facing forward when the feather is tied in. Tie the feather in by the base, using 5-7 flattened wraps.

10. Next, wind your flattened thread back to the head and tie in the black floss with 3 flattened wraps. Wind the floss down the hook to the point where the yellow floss starts, then wind it back to the tie in point and tie it off with 4 flattened wraps. [Note: be careful in this and the next two steps not to trap any of the Spey hackle fibers with either the floss or the tinsels.]

11. Next, wind the flat silver tinsel up the hook to the head and tie it off with 3 flattened wraps.

12. Then, wind the oval silver tinsel up the hook; behind the flat tinsel and tie it off at the head with 3 flattened wraps.

13. Now, carefully wind the Spey hackle up the hook, following the tinsel wraps and tie it off at the head with 4-5 flattened wraps.

14. Pull the Spey hackle barbs diagonally down towards the hook point and pinch them into place with your right thumb and index finger (if you’re a right handed tyer).

15. Next, prepare a Widgeon feather for the throat; the same way that you did for the Green King Spey fly, by folding the hackle and preparing the tip for a tie-in. Tie the Widgeon in just behind the end of the Spey hackle and wrap it 2-3 times around the hook in the forward direction, keeping the barbs flowing back as you wind. Then, tie it off with 4 flattened wraps.

16. Next, pull down and pinch the Widgeon hackle barbs into place, the same way that you did the Spey hackle and change to black thread.

And that’s it for the Jock O’Dee body!

The next post will be the wing.

Pocono
Member rating
How effective is this fly? (1 low, 10 high)N/A
How good is the tying?N/A
Good photograph?N/A
0 users rated N/A% average
Comment

Tutorial Tools