The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Patterns

Comment

LinkBack Tutorial Tools Display Modes
In need of feedback for this BWO emerger.
Published by awkwardsportsman
03-08-2013
Default In need of feedback for this BWO emerger.

I'm hoping to get some honest opinions/suggestions on this fly. I have studied this pattern by satching multiple videos by the pros, and unfortunately I don't have the exact materials the recipe calls for. This is what I used:
#14 1x short, 2x wide gap, regular shank hook
140 denier olive thread
Tail- 5 pheasant tail fibers
Abdomen- Dark Olive dry fly dubbing
Thorax- Dark Hares ear dubbing
Wing/Wing case- 3 CDC natural feathers

Note: I intend to use a #16 hook, but the 14 is all I had.

Questions: Would adding wind colored wire for ribbing effect the way this sits in the water in a positive/negative manner?

Should I use a heavy hook?

And lastly.... Where in the heck can I get goose biot long enough to use as the body? All of my biot and the biot that I have seen is pretty short.

Thanks again guys!! Sorry for the poor picture quality. And please please critique the heck out of this thing, as I think that is the best way to learn. Click the image to open in full size.
Member rating
How effective is this fly? (1 low, 10 high)N/A
How good is the tying?N/A
Good photograph?N/A
0 users rated N/A% average
By kayo on 03-08-2013, 09:51 PM
Default Re: In need of feedback for this BWO emerger.

1. The wing is to close to the eye
2. Here is a good link on biots 101.
"Biot Bodies, - Fly Tying Tips - Week 186 Fly Angler's OnLine"
3. One of my favorite emergers to tie, notice the body ribbing.

hope this helps
By wt bash on 03-09-2013, 12:22 AM

I would use less fibers in the tail or antron yarn, even just some stands of uv dubbing. Maybe set the wing back a bit and for a rib just whack off a small piece of different colored thread or floss. Personally I don't really care for biot bodies I tie some and will fish them but I like a fly to last a bit longer. You can get a really cool effect with the ribbing by leaving your tag end of thread long enough to dub a tiny amount of a contrasting color and make nice open even wraps. In the water it really takes on the look of the natural emerging from the shuck.
By flytire on 03-09-2013, 04:05 AM

regarding a wire rib: adding a wire rib will not affect the fly at all. 3-4 turns of of soft copper wire is negligible.

if you really want a rib with no weight: leave a 3-4 inch long piece of thread at the bend of the hook and color it with a dark marker, tie in the tail fibers and wrap the body forward, then spiral wrap the colored thread forward as the ribbing.

regarding the use of biots: get some turkey biots. they are much longer than goose biots. lay them on a moist parer towel prior to tying them in. that helps to soften them and are less prone to breaking/cracking.

all about biots (these make excellent bookmarks)

Summer Biots

All About Biots
By jcw355 on 03-09-2013, 05:06 AM

Go fish it.
By stenacron on 03-09-2013, 11:09 AM

Drop it (and I mean "drop" it) into a glass of water... I would be curious to see if it floats.
By awidener on 12-31-2013, 02:54 PM

I use Turkey biots for my body and coat it with some zap a gap. That will help it last. I would also buy some emerger hooks, but that should be ok. If it doesn't float, try adding some dear hair as the wing and cdc as an underwing. You can also Tue a thin piece of foam as a wing case and it will float for sure. Google "mayhem fly"...that's basically the bow I tie.
By silver creek on 01-07-2014, 05:17 PM

Here are my thoughts.

Since this fly is an emerger, I would shorten the CDC clump. The wing on an adult mayfly dry is about the length of the hook shank. Your CDC is longer than the emerger nymphal underwater body and is relatively longer than an adult wing would be.

The CDC on your fly should represent the amorphous shape of a body and unfurled wing of the emerging insect; and the larger this shape is, the closer the emerger is to flying off. Also, the larger this shape, the more it should look like the adult. So I think a shorter CDC clump would be more realistic if it were 1/2 to 3/5 its current size.
Comment

Tutorial Tools