The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Patterns

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By minneguy

Comment

LinkBack Tutorial Tools Display Modes
Patterns by species
Published by minneguy
05-09-2014
Default Patterns by species

Hey guys! I'm new around here. I stumbled upon this forum the other day and have been fascinated. I love fly fishing , though in really just a hobbyist. I have been fly fishing and fly tying for most of my life, my dad got me into it at 10, with a used rod and a box of nymphs and poppers for panfish. Ever since then it has been my dream to put together a "database" of all the types of flies that work well for the various freshwater species. I would love to see the patterns you guys tie/use for freshwater fish. If you have pictures of a pattern for a type of fish that you wouldn't mind sharing, post them up!
Here's a couple I tied for smallmouth on the river. This is a weighted crayfish with foam claws that keep the hook just out of the rocks
Click the image to open in full size.
And a basic clouser I tied up that has been very productive Click the image to open in full size.
And a red and white weighted streamer for northerns Click the image to open in full size.
I'll get some pics of a few more later. Post up what you have, and let me know what you think.
-Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.
Member rating
How effective is this fly? (1 low, 10 high)N/A
How good is the tying?N/A
Good photograph?N/A
0 users rated N/A% average
By mcnerney on 05-09-2014, 08:05 AM
Default Re: Patterns by species

Great looking Crayfish pattern, I bet that would work good here in the local waters of western Wyoming!
By minneguy on 05-09-2014, 07:25 PM

Thanks Mcerney! I have yet to catch anything on it, but I am going to pitch it tomorrow morning and see! Click the image to open in full size. here's another cray I tied up tonight. Wish the rabbit fur "pinchers " would be a little bit more away from the body, but it might just work

By bigjim5589 on 05-09-2014, 08:06 PM

Eric, welcome to the site! I had a similar idea to document flies I tied & used, but after setting up a spread sheet & adding about 30 patterns, I gave up. Too much typing & I've tied & used likely several hundred patterns over many years. Between Google & some websites I visit frequently, I can find more flies than I'll ever tie & use, so don't see the need. I really like tying, so would rather spend my time doing that, or fishing than typing!

There has been several threads posted here for flies tied each month, or the "What have you been tying today?" type of threads. Loads of great looking patterns suitable for many species.

Your crayfish patterns are interesting! I like that last one, with the rabbit strip claws. I wouldn't worry too much about getting the claws spread out, frankly if you watch a real crawdad scooting away, the claws are close together in a streamlined manner. They only position their claws apart when sitting in a defensive posture. I gave up trying to tie crawdad patterns with 2 claws anyway, the fish can't count & I caught just as many on flies that only had a single rabbit strip. That way I can tie more flies with less material!
By minneguy on 05-09-2014, 08:20 PM

Bigjim5589, that's true! I guess I never thought of it like that, but you're right, the fish can't count lol

Comment

Tutorial Tools