The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Patterns

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By peregrines
  • 1 Post By silver creek

Comment

LinkBack Tutorial Tools Display Modes
Griffith's Gnat
Griffith's Gnat
From one of the founders of TU, a great all around dry fly for imitating a bunch of small stuff- midges, microcaddis, beetles, ants
Published by peregrines
10-14-2010
Default Griffith's Gnat

Griffith’s Gnat
Griffith’s Gnat Click the image to open in full size.
Type of pattern dry fly, midge, microcaddis, beetle, ant
Originator of pattern if known George Griffith from Michigan, one of the founders of Trout Unlimited.
Tied and Submitted by peregrines
Level of tying experience needed to tie this pattern Beginner, a fairly simple pattern using basic tying skills
Materials listed in order of tie in:
Hook Dry Fly sizes 14-26 Mustad 94840 size 20 here. On small size hooks 20 and below, a wide gap hook and/or straight eye hook is recommended to keep as large a gap as possible for hooking fish.
Thread Black 8/0 or thinner
Tail None
Rib Optional. Original calls for fine gold wire. Omitted here.
Hackle Dry fly quality grizzly rooster saddle or cape feather Tied in at rear of hook. See tying notes.
Body 1-3 strands of peacock herl depending on size of hook. 1 strand used here.
Head  
Special tying notes There are a couple ways of tying this pattern. Here’s one: Tie on thread and wrap shank to directly above barb. Tie in rib if used. Strip stem of dry fly hackle of soft barbs and tie in, leaving a bit of bare stem for the first wrap so hackle barbs don’t flare out all over the place. Tie in butts of herl/ Form herl body. Palemer dry fly hackle length of body in several open turns. Tie down hackle. Counter wrap fine wire rib if used in wide open turns, wiggling as necessary so as not to bind down hackle barbs. Tie off wire, form thread head, whip and tie off.
Target species trout
Fishing notes A good general imitation of beetles, caddis, micro caddis, and clusters of midges and small caddis. A good "go to" pattern when fish are feeding on impossibly small flies. And remember, for trout, peacock and grizzly are two of the major food groups.
littledavid123 and gzarboni like this.
Member rating
How effective is this fly? (1 low, 10 high)
87.5%87.5%87.5%
How good is the tying?
55%55%55%
Good photograph?
35%35%35%
4 users rated 59% average
By bhakulin on 01-13-2014, 10:30 PM
Member reviews
100%100%100%
How good is the tying?
70%70%70%
Good photograph?
60%60%60%
Average 77%
Default Re: Griffith's Gnat

This has caught trout for me from the ADK's to Colorado and works most times fish are eating midges. I think bigger ones are mistaken for beetles as well.
By silver creek on 01-28-2014, 11:52 AM

Gary Borger says a size 16 is the single best size. He will put on a 16 even if the midges are much smaller. So make sure you tie some #16s.
By itchmesir on 01-28-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
Gary Borger says a size 16 is the single best size. He will put on a 16 even if the midges are much smaller. So make sure you tie some #16s.
Probably because the fly is tied to imitate a cluster of midge... Not a single midge... Bigger cluster... Bigger meal
By silver creek on 02-05-2014, 10:37 AM

I went to tie some flies and I found this on my tying desk. I was over at Gary's house last year and he gave me a dozen of his Griffith's Gnats to fish. I had him sign the top of box and put them on my tying desk. I had forgotten about them.

They are all size 16 of course, and on the right side of the box are the version he ties with a trailing shuck and no hackle.

Click the image to open in full size.
By gzarboni on 02-07-2014, 08:55 AM
Member reviews
70%70%70%
How good is the tying?
80%80%80%
Good photograph?
50%50%50%
Average 67%
Default Griffith's Gnat

Here is my Griffith's gnat. I only had copper wire so that's what I used for the rib. This is also the first no#16 I ever tied.
Glen
Click the image to open in full size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By wf10f on 09-11-2014, 01:46 PM

peregrines, you have done me a huge favor. I've been tying for a long time but have always had a problem with those flyaway hackles on the first wrap. Your simple advice to leave a bit of stem to get the hackle going nice and straight is so simple that it's one of those things that just hit you like, "BOING...how did I never think of that". Sure it's been written before in things I've read but for some reason this is the first time it jumped out like that. Maybe because I've just spent a lot of time trimming the hackle on a bunch of the Adams Family flies and now I know how to avoid most of that mess on the first wrap.

Thank you much, Nick
By steeler fan on 10-12-2014, 04:59 PM

I love this fly for steelhead. I tie it with a 3X (Mustad S80) heavy hook and use it as a dropper off of a nymph. This has been very successful for steelhead in clear-shallow water.
Comment

Tutorial Tools