The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Patterns

Comment

LinkBack Tutorial Tools Display Modes
Dancing Caddis
Dancing Caddis
An upside down dry fly to skitter on the surface
Published by peregrines
10-22-2010
Default Dancing Caddis

Dancing Caddis
Grannom (Brachycentrus) Dancing Caddis, tied on a size 16 Swedish Dry Fly hook with brown olive body, brownish gray deer hair wing and clipped brown hackle to match Grannom Caddis Click the image to open in full size.
Green Sedge (Rhyacophelia) Dancing Caddis with bright green body, bleached elk hair wing and light ginger clipped hackle on a 2 xl Mustad 94831 size 14 Click the image to open in full size.
Black Caddis (Chimera) Dancing Caddis with mixed black and brown dubbing for body, dark gray deer hair wing, and dark dun clipped hackle on a 2xl Mustad 94831 size 16 Click the image to open in full size.
Type of fly Upside down caddis dry fly
Originator of pattern if known Gary LaFontaine
Tied and Submitted by peregrines
Level of tying experience needed to tie this pattern Intermediate, a little more complicated pattern, previous experience tying different types of patterns helpful
Materials listed in order of tie in:
Hook Original hook was the Partridge Swedish dry fly hook model K3A, which is hard to find and expensive. But you can also tie this on a 3xl or 2xl dry fly hook. The Tiemco 200R is a popular choice. I've included examples above tied on both the Partridge Swedish Dry Fly hook and a few on the Mustad 2 extra long, 2 extra fine dry fly hook model 94831
Here's a pic of the Partridge Swedish Dry Fly Hook model K3A (top), a 2xlong Mustad 94831, and a standard Mustad dry fly hook 94840, all in size 16 Click the image to open in full size.
Thread 8/0
Tail None
Body Dubbing to match naturals
Wing bleached or natural elk or deer hair to match naturals
Head Thread
Special tying notes Put hook in vise up side down, hook point up. Dub body to first kink in Swedish dry fly hook, or to first 1/3 of shank if using a regular 3xl or 2xl hook. Tie in wing, taking care to keep the wing sparse and use soft wraps of thread to bring the wing low so as not to block the hook gap. Tie in hackle over wing tie down and wrap 5-7 turns. Whip and tie off. leave hackle as is, or, trim on bottom so the fly rides in film.
Target species Trout
Fishing notes Dead drift or skitter and twitch across the surface
Member rating
How effective is this fly? (1 low, 10 high)
80%80%80%
How good is the tying?
100%100%100%
Good photograph?
100%100%100%
1 user rated 93% average
By dean_mt on 09-24-2011, 09:46 PM
Member reviews
How effective is this fly? (1 low, 10 high)
80%80%80%
How good is the tying?
100%100%100%
Good photograph?
100%100%100%
Average 93%
Default Re: Dancing Caddis

Mark - great fly! I have a dozen of so of those hooks. I tied a few of those flies after reading which ever of LaFontaine's books the dancing caddis was in. I'm big fan of all of Gary's work. I'll have to try to tie this again.

On the Swedish hook, is the wing tied onto the body part of the hook or onto the bend? I don't remember. Thanks!
By peregrines on 09-27-2011, 02:03 PM

John- I tie the wing on the kinked part of the Swedish hook behind the eye, then wrap the hackle directly over the wing tie-down.

The Swedish hook can be hard to find (and expensive), but you can use a regular straight shank 2x or 3xl fine wire dry hook and just tie it with the hook inverted.

Note: I've never had a problem fishing these flies but some have complained about the danger of having a hook point "brain" a fish or puncture an eye because of the hook up orientation.
By jpbfly on 09-27-2011, 02:25 PM

Nice flies MarkDo you think I could use the Partrige hook to tie barbel nymps which have to drift on the bottom?
By peregrines on 09-27-2011, 03:39 PM

JP, Although it would probably work for nymphs I wouldn't use a Swedish hook.

Try just using a regular nymph hook but tie the barbell (or beadchain) eyes on top of the hook shank (like a clouser minnow) as the first tying step---
the weight of the barbell or beadchain eyes tied on top of the hook shank should flip the hook so it rides hook point up.

After this step, invert the hook in the vise so it's positioned with the hook point up, and complete the fly.

After you tie the first one (and before you tie the next 100), test it in some water to make sure it rides correctly with hook point up.

The Swedish hook is expensive and can be hard to find, so I don't use it much.
By jpbfly on 09-27-2011, 03:47 PM

Thanks for the advice Mark
Comment

Tutorial Tools