The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2009, 10:11 AM

kpp80202 is on a distinguished road
Default new Radius 1.5 or used Galvan OB-3?

I need a reel for a 4wt rod (Elkhorn Traveler) and can get a brand new Lamson Radius 1.5 for $85, or a used but very good condition Galvan OB-3 with a used SA mastery WF4F line and backing for $125. I guess an equivalent new line on the Radius would run $70 (I have backing already). So, the question is get a new reel and line for $155, or a used but supposedly higher quality reel with used line (a few seasons old) for $125?

Another issue is getting spare spools. I think I can get a spare for the Radius for $40, but a new one for the Galvan will run at least $120.

Help! What would you do?
Old 06-18-2009, 10:45 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new Radius 1.5 or used Galvan OB-3?

I'd get the better reel. I have several spare spools for a Ross Rhythm, but
only because they were on closeout for $29. I have yet to use a spare spool.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

That line may be scarred up or possibly cracking after a few years. Its quite possible to keep a line working that long, but its old enough to where I wouldn't factor it into the decision. Use it if its fine once you get it, but I wouldn't assume its value to be over $20.

And I would say it comes down to which balances the rod better.

If that's a tie, then consider that the Galvan is likely much larger diameter and will pick up line quicker and make your fly line less coily as well.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:12 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

the galvan.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:22 AM

DryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura about

+1 for the Galvan.

I sure enjoy mine.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:42 AM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about

Another Galvan fan over here.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:47 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I can't say anything bad about the Lamson Radius. It has the same drag system as the higher priced Litespeed and ULA reels, but it is different in alloys, machining, and finish. I'm sure that the Radius that you are getting is last year's version. If you choose this reel, make sure to buy your spare spool(s) right away since you won't be able to buy them later.

My choice between the two would be the Galvan. I feel that the machining quality and finish are superior to the Radius. Boni Galvan has not changed the OB since its introduction. It's a well made reel.

MP