The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2009, 10:45 PM

Hockeyref is on a distinguished road
Default Need comparison and opinions Okuma Vashon vs Albright GP\GPX

So gimmie your opinions.... new 5\6 wt Okuma Vashon @$~50 vs Albright GP @~$50 or GPX @~$100
Old 07-02-2009, 01:17 PM

Default Re: Need comparison and opinions Okuma Vashon vs Albright GP\GPX

Let's add the Lamson Radius 2 to the mix also.....

So the Lamson is made in USA and Machined.
The Albright GXP is made overseas and machined.
THe Albright GX is made overseas and cast.
THe Okuma is????

C'mon guys... I need to order a reel here and need a little feedback. Had a co-worker suggest a Ryall if I can find one in my price range.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:04 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Hockeyref,

I am sorry that you have not gotten any feed back. I think your problem is the reels you are asking about. They are not popular reels and I don't think a lot of members know a lot about them. You may have been more successful asking for recommendations for a reel at a specific price point. That makes it a lot easier to make recommendations.

I for one don't know anything about the reels you are looking at.

Frank
Old 07-02-2009, 05:47 PM

Well Frank,
The internet ate two replies. I keep getting shorter as I go.... thank you for your response. I do find it interesting that the Lamson\Waterworks is currenty tied for 1st in the favorite brand poll in this particular forum and no one has chimed in.

I want a mid to large arbor 6 wt, good drag (sealed?), machined - not cast, all for about $100...... The reels I listed had been recomended either on line or by someone local as fitting the bill and being available for between $50 and $150 while retailing for $125 - $300 normally.

I also am looking at the Cabela's LSA reel and am open for suggestions. I will not pay over $150 for a reel at this point and while some would say that a newbie should just get a cheap $30 reel to learn on 'cuz it only holds the line... well, I shoot competative rifle and I fully understand what you get for your extra bucks - real easy to outgrow entry level equipment. I kinda look at a reel the same way I look at optics (scope or spotting scope) - you can buy cheap and get something that works today, or spend a bit more and have something that will suit you for years - possibly a full lifetime - if you choose wisely.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Hockeyref,

Of the reels you have mentioned I would pick any of the Lamson reels. You can get the Radius 2 for $125 at Sierra Trading. That would be a good choice. Even the Lamson Konic would be a good choice. The Lamson Konic is a high pressure cast reel with the Lamson style drag. One of the best reels for the money. The advantage of buying a Lamson is you have the factory in the US if you need them.

Cabela's reels are used by a lot of people with satisfaction. The lower cost reels are all made overseas. You might also consider the Orvis Mid Arbor.

Frank
Old 07-03-2009, 07:03 PM

Thanks Frank,
I got to handle the Battenkill MAII and MAIII today... almost bought one on the spot.. Is there any difference or advantage between one or the other? Biggest thing in favor of the Orvis - for me at this point - is the Orvis shop is ~20 miles away and the guy was really friendly and helpful... just had to wait until the surge of customers subsided so that he was free to talk relatively undisturbed (and not getting in the way of buying customers.... I'll definitely be going back, but it was an Orvis dealer so there was no cross section of product.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:05 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

You can't go wrong with a Konic, or any of Orvis' Battenkill series.