The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2009, 10:56 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ross Momentum...Too Heavy

One of the big shops is selling these reels for $185, but the suckers weigh
10oz ! I'd be using it on a 9' 8wt, fishing for saltwater type fish. Anyone
use a reel that heavy on an 8wt rod? My other option would be a Ross Rhythm 3.5. I own the Rhythm, and Brandt from Ross told me they are 100%
suitable for saltwater use.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:20 AM

SkipS is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ross Momentum...Too Heavy

That is pretty heavy for an 8wt reel.My Tibor Everglades only weighs 8.5oz and Tibor's are not light reels.I also fish a J Ryall #8 and its around 6.1 oz.I would go with the Rhythm unless you like a heavy reel.I have never heard of any problems with the Rhythm in SW.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:33 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Which Momentum model are you referring to?

MP
Old 07-03-2009, 09:51 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys,
It's the original Momentum, not the LT. They are sold out in size 4, but have the other models. Size 5 is 9.8oz, and Ross recommends it for 8-10wt rods.
The size 4 wouldn't have been much lighter at 9.3oz.

I'm not going for tarpon, so maybe the Rhythm's smaller drag will be fine. 20
years in home improvement has left my right shoulder a tad sensitive already,
and even deciding to use an 8wt was an issue. I do like the fight of bigger
fish, however, and the little striper I caught a couple days ago has me looking
forward to catching its bigger brother .
Old 07-03-2009, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi FrankB2,

That is a heck of a buy on the Ross Momentum 5. You need to compare the weight to comparable reels. The Momentum 5 is a 4" diameter reel and compares to the Tibor QC Riptide. The Riptide weighs 10.5oz. The Mako and Hatch reels are about the same weight. These reels are more appropriate for a 9wt line or even a 10wt and intended for heavy fish. I think you will find that longevity means more weight. The new LT is a better weight but you are talking $300 additional over these Momentums on sale. I have been thinking real serious of buying one of these reels myself.

With you 8wt rod you might find a 9wt line is a better choice for quick cast.

Frank
Old 07-03-2009, 10:24 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

The 3 reels that I use on my 8wts are all about the same weight. Just under 10oz. loaded
My 9wt reel is 11oz loaded and that's not uncomfortable to use either.
My 10wt reels are both 12.5 oz, loaded... those are heavy and I avoid using them when possible
Old 07-03-2009, 11:07 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
Hi Guys,
It's the original Momentum, not the LT. They are sold out in size 4, but have the other models. Size 5 is 9.8oz, and Ross recommends it for 8-10wt rods.
The size 4 wouldn't have been much lighter at 9.3oz.

I'm not going for tarpon, so maybe the Rhythm's smaller drag will be fine. 20
years in home improvement has left my right shoulder a tad sensitive already,
and even deciding to use an 8wt was an issue. I do like the fight of bigger
fish, however, and the little striper I caught a couple days ago has me looking
forward to catching its bigger brother .
Thank you for the clarification. That is why Ross made the LT version. The original Momentums were made too heavy. The only rods that balanced well with the reels are longer Spey rods. The newer LT reels are at least an ounce lighter.

There have been issues with the size 5 to 7 reels with big game. The radial pawl system that determines direction can break. Fish that make long runs (billfish, tarpon) can cause this issue. This usually happens after repeated fish being fought. One guy who I know had his break after fighting 7 Atlantic Sailfish. For your usage, however, I don't think this will be a problem.

MP
Old 07-03-2009, 11:10 AM

Hey Guys,
Thanks again for the input. I'm just hoping to get some stripers off the New Jersey and Delaware coasts. I'm also going to Tampa for a couple weeks in
October, and hope to hook into something there as well.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:08 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

I'll second that reel for two handed rods. It would balance a 12'er or 13'er quite well. If you get into the spey style casting later, you might kick yourself in the arse for not getting it now. But then again you might not ever get into spey style fishing and I'll buy it off you for $50
Old 07-03-2009, 10:13 PM

Hey Mojo...LOL! I could always use it to anchor my canoe .

I slapped an Okuma SLV with a 6wt line on the 8wt rod, and it balances nicely.
That reel/line weighs 7.8oz total, so the Rhythm 3.5 would do the balancing
thing nicely. Why didn't I slap my Rhythm 3.5 on the rod? We had to
go fishing, the reel was still in the box, and I don't have an 8wt line .