The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2009, 10:18 AM

PAMike is on a distinguished road
Default Sage Launch

hey all whats up? i was fishing awith a friend yesterday and he gave me a Sage Launch 690-4 with a Loop lg arbor reel. that rod is an amazing caster. i actually like the rod better then my zero gravity. ok so i am going to buy the Sage Launch 690-4. Being a bottom range rod what kind of reel would you guys suggest? i am in no way going to put a Loop on it. I have been a Orvis guy for my flyfishing career. i like the battenkills and the cfos. i was thinking about getting a SA for it, maybe a reddington. any suggestions? the rod will be used for NEPA trout. Delaware, Lehigh, Lackawaxen river and possibly Oak Orchard NY just for good fights on lighter tackle. throw me some opinions please!!!!

Also one more favor. please dont suggest any other rods! i like this Sage. i like the color the action the price and i already threw the rod so i know i like it!!! thanks all.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:32 AM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Sage Launch

If you like Orvis reels...put a BBS IV on the Launch. I would recommend the IV over the III as it will balance the rod better. I have the same 6wt Launch that I use for drift boats, big water with alot of wind etc and love the way it casts. I don't particularly like really fast rods and the Launch really suits my casting style. I use a TFO 310 large arbor and it balances well and also the color combo of reel and rod look really good together.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi PAMike,

The Launch is a good rod and you will get a lot of use from it. The Orvis Mid-Arbor would be a good choice and not a big price. The Lamson Konic would also be a good choice.

Frank

Orvis Mid-Arbor
Click the image to open in full size.

Lamson Konic
Old 07-04-2009, 12:38 PM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about

I second the Orvis mid arbor. I do like that reel.

You also might try do find a discounted ross rythm somewhere on the internet.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:09 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Here's my setup. Sage Launch, Orvis Battenkil mid arbor.
And a fat pre-spawn bow.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatahey View Post
Here's my setup. Sage Launch, Orvis Battenkil mid arbor.
And a fat pre-spawn bow.
That fish is a beauty!(it's not a fat one it's a muscle one)very nice pic
Old 07-04-2009, 04:25 PM

hardhat is on a distinguished road

I had an opportunity to use the Launch 6 weight also. I liked it enough to buy one. I kept it over another rod I paid more than twice as much. However I do have other 6 weights that I use also.
Again like what others have suggested the mid arbor 3 or the lamson radius 2 or 3 would be good choices.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:49 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

You can always go old school. How about a Pflueger Medalist 1494 or 1494 1/2?
Old 07-05-2009, 12:40 PM

PAMike is on a distinguished road

thanks guys i will get the batenkill mid. seems like i am not the only person to try this rod and like it!!! and for around 220.00 how can one go wrong?! thanks again, mike
Old 07-05-2009, 03:32 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAMike View Post
hey all whats up? i was fishing awith a friend yesterday and he gave me a Sage Launch 690-4 with a Loop lg arbor reel. that rod is an amazing caster. i actually like the rod better then my zero gravity. ok so i am going to buy the Sage Launch 690-4. Being a bottom range rod what kind of reel would you guys suggest? i am in no way going to put a Loop on it. I have been a Orvis guy for my flyfishing career. i like the battenkills and the cfos. i was thinking about getting a SA for it, maybe a reddington. any suggestions? the rod will be used for NEPA trout. Delaware, Lehigh, Lackawaxen river and possibly Oak Orchard NY just for good fights on lighter tackle. throw me some opinions please!!!!

Also one more favor. please dont suggest any other rods! i like this Sage. i like the color the action the price and i already threw the rod so i know i like it!!! thanks all.
PAMike,

My first rod (after an LLBean $75.00 all inclusive starter package 8'6" 5 wt.) was a Sage Launch 590 4 piece. It's a very nice rod. I traded it in about a year after I purchased it for a Sage VT2 9.0" 5 wt. Bad trade. I like the launch much better than the VT2. So, I traded the VT2 in for a Z-Axis; also 9'0" 5 wt. and that's the rod that I fish most often. It's been with me for several years now. I think it's a really nice rod. But, so is the Launch.

By the way, you're fishing in my neck of the woods; Delaware, Lehigh, Broadhead, Lackawaxen, Lackawanna, Tobyhanna, etc. For most of the fishing up here, a 5 wt. is plenty of rod for me; particularly if it was a Sage Launch 590 4 piece.

As for reels, I'd pair it with a Lamson Litespeed 2.0. That reel balanced my 5 wt. Launch almost perfectly when loaded with FW5F line.

Enjoy the fishing!