The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2009, 12:40 AM

Fish'n AK is on a distinguished road
Default Alaska Reel

Hello all! I'm new to fly fishing and am looking to buy my first reel. My eyes are on Abel's Super 7 - I mainly intend to taget Silver Salmon. I was thinking to purchase an additional arbor, size 10, so that I can target Kings when they arrive. I live in Alaska so the necessity to target multiple species is important. So, too, is an excellent drag system. Can anyone lend some advice to purchasing such a set up? is it the best set up for the money, and is it the best route to go?
Thx
Old 07-05-2009, 01:34 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alaska Reel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish'n AK View Post
Hello all! I'm new to fly fishing and am looking to buy my first reel. My eyes are on Abel's Super 7 - I mainly intend to taget Silver Salmon. I was thinking to purchase an additional arbor, size 10, so that I can target Kings when they arrive. I live in Alaska so the necessity to target multiple species is important. So, too, is an excellent drag system. Can anyone lend some advice to purchasing such a set up? is it the best set up for the money, and is it the best route to go?
Thx
To some including myself, Abel makes the highest quality reels. Any metal part (except the springs) on one of these reels was machined in the Abel shop. That includes the little screws. The machining is top notch. The finishes are flawless. The cork drag system is very powerful, yet butter smooth. My larger Abels have taken abuse from Tarpon, Dorado, and Pacific Sailfish. Some of these reels are over 10 years old.

I'm confused in your post. Are you planning on buying one of Abel's Super 7 "FlexABELity" sets? This set comes with a Super 7 reel body with large and standard spools. Or are you planning on buying a Super 7 Large Arbor reel and a Super 10 Large Arbor reel?

If you plan on buying the "FlexABELity" set, I would be concerned with the standard arbor configuration. The outside diameter of the spool is 3.75 inches. To crank in a 10 weight line is going to take a lot of turns because of the smaller diameter. A modern 10 weight reel's outside diameter is at least 4 inches.

If you are out to get two separate reels, I would choose a Super 9 over a Super 10. The Super 9 is much lighter than the Super 10. Actually it balances with a 10 weight rod better than the Super 10. The key thing is that 50 pound gel spun backing will have to be used to get capacity instead of 30 pound dacron backing. Also the Super 9 has a larger outside diameter than the Super 10. It will pick up line much faster.

It's hard to go wrong with Abels. They are made to last. They could take day in and day out punishment. Plus, Abel has a wonderful customer service department. I have sent some of my older reels in for servicing. They cleaned, relubed, and replaced o-rings on my reels for the cost of return shipping. The turn around for their service is quick. I sent my reels out on a Monday and had them back by Thursday. Granted Abel and I are in California, but the quick turnaround means that Abel had my reels for about a day and a half.

If you get some Abels, I'm sure that you will enjoy them.

MP

PS: My favorite Abel in my collection is my "old school" TR1 click and pawl reel that I use for my 3 weight. I have owned it since 2002, and it's still going strong.