The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 08:48 PM

gunner_21 is on a distinguished road
Default Ross Canyon Big Game 4

I have the Ross Canyon Big Game 4 reel and I just noticed that when I shake the reel I can hear something loose in the drag system. Similiar sound to shaking a beebe gun up and down and hearing one beebe go back and forth. lol sorry for the poor analogy but thats what it sounds like. If I tighten the drag a little bit the sound goes away. The functionality of the reel seems perfectly fine. Does anyone own this reel? Does it do it on yours? Is this a problem from the sounds of it? Thanks in advance

Tom
Old 02-14-2011, 10:20 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ross Canyon Big Game 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner_21 View Post
I have the Ross Canyon Big Game 4 reel and I just noticed that when I shake the reel I can hear something loose in the drag system. Similiar sound to shaking a beebe gun up and down and hearing one beebe go back and forth. lol sorry for the poor analogy but thats what it sounds like. If I tighten the drag a little bit the sound goes away. The functionality of the reel seems perfectly fine. Does anyone own this reel? Does it do it on yours? Is this a problem from the sounds of it? Thanks in advance

Tom
Tom: I don't own a Ross Canyon so I can't answer your question, but why not take the time and call Ross support and ask their opinion, better to have the reel fixed before something worse happens.

Larry

Larry
Old 02-14-2011, 10:50 PM

gunner_21 is on a distinguished road

Yea I did call the Ross support they were closed for the night. I was just a little anxious
Old 02-14-2011, 10:53 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Calling Ross would be your best bet. Here is a link to the Ross warranty page.

Here is something to check. Pull the spool off, and remove the cover to the radial pawl. Inspect the radial pawl. It can be cracked or broken. On occasion, with these pawls break.

MP
Old 04-12-2011, 11:12 AM

stoneyclove will become famous soon enough

I've been looking for a Big Game 4 for a while now in black......not easy found.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:21 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

What you have is a little thing that has bugged a few people over the years. Some Ross reels are so loose, even when the drag is cranked, that they actually reel themselves in a bit as you cast.
I don't think it is a huge problem, as I have the same syndrome in a couple Ross reels that I own, including a Big Game 3.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Tom,

I have A Ross Big Game 5 and I seem to remember that same noise. I will check it out and let you know tomorrow.

Frank
Old 04-12-2011, 07:16 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Ross has a good service dept. so you should be covered. The Big Games had some issues, unfortunately the drag was not user serviceable and also not completely sealed. consequently water (freeze up) or salt and sand could get into the drag and render it worthless. Both of my Big Games had a few failures. The Momentum that replaced it was a far superior reel. Ironically the non Big Game (Canyon) had the same drag as the Gunnison and was an excellent value for the money. I've landed some huge Kings on one of them steelheading.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:24 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
The Big Games had some issues, unfortunately the drag was not user serviceable and also not completely sealed. consequently water (freeze up) or salt and sand could get into the drag and render it worthless. Both of my Big Games had a few failures.
I agree completely about drags with you Burke. They should either be easily serviceable by the owner, or "completely sealed" (forever) by the factory. I too have a partly sealed BG5 which I completely submerge after every use in hot water and dawn dish soap to remove the salt, otherwize the drag does not function properly the following day.

The Canyon BG series have both ported spools and a ported frame - exposing the drag to salt water - unlike the Tibors and Pates (and some others) which do not have either ported spools or ported frames on the drag side. Additionally, the drags on both are easily serviceable, though they rarely need it.

I also had the handle freeze up on the BG5 so it doesn't spin on the stud. This, I believe was due to too tight a tolerence between the plastic handle and the spool.

Much to their credit, Ross Service sent me replacement handle, stud and machine screw at no cost at all and the same day I called, so I wasn't without the reel in the interim.

I machined another 0.004" off the face of the new plastic handle to give a little more clearance and have not had that problem since. I understand their thinking in the tight tolerance since the tighter the fit, the less deflection on the small (necessary) machine screw and thin aluminum of the spool surrounding the screw head. But I don't think the additional clearance is going to cause a fracture from "work hardening" in this instance.

Incidentally, when replacing small screws in reels, I have been coating their threads with fingernail polish since I was 12. It makes a big difference in cutting down - practically eliminating- electrolytic corrosion. It breaks free easily when using the proper sized screw driver.

Cheers,
Jim