The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2011, 05:56 PM

wateroksnmud will become famous soon enough
Default What size reel?

So I picked up a new Scott G2 885-4, and am heavily decided on the new Ross F1. I know that down the road I'll pick up or possibly build a 3wt, and that I'll be fishing small stream and rivers in the high Rockies. Is it wrong to go with 1.5 (3-5wt) reel rather than 2 (4-6wt)? I'm thinking the 1.5 so that I can use it on either rod and just swap spools out, but don't know the advantages and disadvantages.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:43 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: What size reel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wateroksnmud View Post
So I picked up a new Scott G2 885-4, and am heavily decided on the new Ross F1. I know that down the road I'll pick up or possibly build a 3wt, and that I'll be fishing small stream and rivers in the high Rockies. Is it wrong to go with 1.5 (3-5wt) reel rather than 2 (4-6wt)? I'm thinking the 1.5 so that I can use it on either rod and just swap spools out, but don't know the advantages and disadvantages.
Get an Allen fly reel or two. Allen Fly Fishing
You'll be hard pressed to find a quality reel like this for the money.
Kill two birds with one stone. Get the 3-5w reel and a spare spool. The Ross is over $400 and the money you save can get your 3w faster.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:51 PM

chicagojohn will become famous soon enoughchicagojohn will become famous soon enough

The F1 reel in question might be a bit heavy for an 8'6" 5 weight G2 and will definitely be heavy on a 3 weight. The F1 1.5 is a heavier reel at 5.4 ounces. The Evolution LT 1.5 at 4.1 ounces will be lighter and might balance with the G2 better. It is also $275 instead of $450. You might also be able to find the original Evolution reel at a lower price, since it has been discontinued. The Allen reel in question is slightly heavier than the Evolution LT at 4.8 ounces and may still be a little bottom heavy on that specific rod. The shorter rod will require a lighter reel to balance it out, and you would certainly notice the difference on a 3 weight rod. Some people place more or less importance on this.

I fish a Winston biix, which is a light rod. I have tried to find a nice reel that is fully machined with a solid drag to balance with the rod. The best I have found for the price is the Nautilus FWX or the discontinued Feather Weight. The new and old spools are interchangeable between reels. The older FW reel weighs 4 ounces, while the new FWX reel weighs 3.6 ounces and should balance perfectly with your 8'8" Scott G2. The new FWX retails for $250, while I have seen the discontinued FW for around $180.

They are the best & lightest reels I have found for the money and include a full manufacturers warranty and are manufactured in the US.

Premium Fly Fishing Reels - Nautilus Reels

Let me know how you like the G2. I'm looking at the 4 weight.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:17 PM

@chicagojohn I understand completely what you're saying about balancing a rod out, but with that in mind, and just thinking about it and not having it in hand, I would assume that the heavier the better because a heavier reel is going to bring the center point closer to the handle. Where should the center point of balance be?

Just thinking more weight in the handle create's a better "pivot" point.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:05 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I've gotten pretty finicky about balance of the rod/reel. You will get alot of opinions on this, it just depends on what you like to feel when you're casting. I prefer, and can definately notice, the differences in balance.

With that said, I find that the optimal location for the fulcrum point is at or just behind the end of the handle above your hand. It's not always easy enough to make that happen, but I like it there.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:57 PM

chicagojohn will become famous soon enoughchicagojohn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wateroksnmud View Post
@chicagojohn I understand completely what you're saying about balancing a rod out, but with that in mind, and just thinking about it and not having it in hand, I would assume that the heavier the better because a heavier reel is going to bring the center point closer to the handle. Where should the center point of balance be?

Just thinking more weight in the handle create's a better "pivot" point.
I also agree that the balance point should be near the handle, near the top of the cork handle near the graphite where you would place your hand and tip of your thumb on the rod. With that said, even six inches on a rod like the G2 will completely change the balance point of the rod with a reel as heavy as the Ross F1. It seems to me that the Ross F1 would be best suited on a six weight or heavier where you would be targeting fish that require a strong drag system. My best advice is to place the F1 on your G2 and see where the rod and reel balance on your finger. My guess is that the balance point will be closer to the reel side of the cork grip and will make the rod feel bottom heavy while casting. This feeling will be even more pronounced when you attempt to use the reel in conjunction with your future 3 weight rod.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:32 PM

Thanks for the input guys. It's been a while but that's what I thought seemed right. I'll be heading over to trouts tonight and I'll respond with what I came out with. I'll check out the Nautilus reels as well.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:48 PM

gaflydawg is on a distinguished road

I am also looking at a Nautilus FW 7+ reel for myself! Anyone have one for sale?