The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2009, 04:11 PM

Laurel Fork is on a distinguished road
Default 6 wt Reel

I am looking for a reel to pair with a 6 wt fly rod up to the $200 price point. The Lamson Konic/Guru reels look intriguing, but my reel experience has been mostly with Ross. Are these good reels for a 6 wt rod? Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Laurel Fork,

The two that you have picked would be a good choice. You should also look at the Redington Rise reel at $159. Call Todd at 937-434-8472. He is a sponsor of NAFFF and offers free shipping and free set up if you buy line also.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.

REDINGTON RISE 5/6 FLY REEL

We've taken our super dependable CD Series reel and made it lighter and more attractive. This fully machined 6061 T6 aluminum Mid-arbor construction reel features a cork on Teflon center drag design, a Koyo one-way clutch and ceramic coated bearings for smoothness and durability. The CD makes a great reel for both fresh and salt applications. Available in your choice of Dark Charcoal, Burnt Orange or Moss with four models to choose from: 3/4, 5/6, 7/
Old 08-04-2009, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

The Ross CLA or Flyrise are fine, as are Orvis BarStock or Mid Arbor Battenkill for what you're after. Sage's 1650 is another fine one to consider.

One note, I would try these out on the rod its being paired with, as there's alot of weight variance in 6wt reels. The Battenkill Bar Stock is likely the lightest, with the Sage at the other end of the spectrum. Both Lamsons should be in the middle to light end of that spectrum. There will also be considerable difference in backing capacity, if that matters to you.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:30 PM

kruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the rough

I own 3 lamsons(radius reels),1 on a 6wt, and the others for 8and 9wts. The lamsons are great reels IMO, awesome drag systems for all sorts of species. I also have a redington cd on a 4wt which is a nice reel, but I believe your choices for the konic or guru will suit all your needs. I seen the battenkills in action are nice but I personaly would stick with lamsons,just my 2 cents!!!