The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2009, 10:43 AM

jayodonn is on a distinguished road
Default Machined vs Cast

Hi all. I recently purchased a 7' 6" 4wt rod and found the reel that I own is too heavy. Using a paper cup, tape and looking up that 1 fluid ounce of water is approx 1oz in weight, I've determined a 3.5 oz reel should be about right. I want to spend around $50 and found two reels that are very similar. The Grey's G-Series 1 and the Martin Mohawk River 3/4. They both have very similar specs with the main difference being the Greys reel is cast while the Martin reel is machined. Should I go for the machined reel vs the cast reel?
Old 08-06-2009, 11:37 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Machined vs Cast

I know a guy that loves the Martin Mohawk River, and he has a drawer full
of Hardy reels. The Mohawk River has been given several good reviews, and
I almost bought one myself.

As far as casting vs. machined....I can't stand a reel that wobbles. I've had
cast reels that wobbled, and machined reels that wobbled a bit less. I've
also had cast reels that spun perfectly. Some reels are cast, and then machined to a closer tolerance. A cast reel might crack if dropped, but I've
dropped a cast reel several times from the top of my car, and nothing happened.

Having said all that, I'd get the Mohawk River .
Old 08-06-2009, 12:05 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

By "fully machined," does Martin mean that the reel was machined from barstock aluminum, or was it made from cast aluminum then machine finished (like the Lamson Konic or Ross Flyrise)?

If the Martin Mohawk reel was machined from barstock aluminum, that's a great value.

Denny
Old 08-06-2009, 12:34 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

According to this review, it's fully machined: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewmartinmohawkr.html

The guy I mentioned is Jack Mickievicz of Jack's Tackle, and he is a former
machinist, and co-inventor of the Renzetti vise: CLICK HERE. Hans
Weilenmann's description of Jack as a "larger than life character" is about
right! Jack makes rods in bamboo, glass, and graphite, and shoots straight
when it comes to info and advice. He's a bit of a legend in Southeast PA, and
most of the shops carry his tying materials.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:26 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

I have all Jack's dubbings in my store.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 08-06-2009, 06:38 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

For what it's worth, I have a Martin Mountain Brook and love it. I know it's comparing apples to grapefruit, but they seem to have a quality product. Don't know about the other one though.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:44 PM

SkipS is on a distinguished road

Just buy the reel you like best.Its an inexpensive reel and its for a 4wt rod.It really doesnt matter if its cast or machined,its just a line holder.If it were for serious saltwater fishing it would be an issue but for a 4wt rod,it isnt.It comes down to which reel feels and looks the best.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:19 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

If you do a lot of rock-hopping and puddle-jumping you might find you'll only have to buy the barstock machined reel once. Bar stock aluminum is inherently stronger than cast and can generally take more bangs and bruises.
Castings can be very porous and thus weak unless beefed up with gobs of extra metal.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:01 AM

kruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the rough

I believe either will do you fine, I used both cast and machined reel for steelies and they both worked fine. The only thing is if your going after king salmon or saltwater I heard cast reels warping do to the drag heating up. So I would go with a machined reel for that kind of fishing.