The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2009, 02:40 PM

ksigtuck will become famous soon enoughksigtuck will become famous soon enough
Default Which reel for trout bum 3wt

Hey guys,
Curious of yalls opinions on what reel would look/function the best on an Orvis Superfine Trout Bum 6'6" 3wt rod.
Thanks,
Tuck
Old 08-14-2009, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which reel for trout bum 3wt

hi,brother Tuck,as I've already told on this forum I've been using Vivarelli reels for a very long time....light,practicle,very solid...lots of qualities,the drag is a bit difficult to adjust that's all.I know it's not popular in the US...we bought some for the veterans ,I'm sure they'll enjoy using them.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:53 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

Orvis CFO, thats what it was intended to go on it. classic look..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 08-14-2009, 07:20 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have any direct experience with that rod, but for smaller weight rods, I like two reels in particular; one is Abel's Creek series (sized either 1 or 2) and the other is Hardy's Featherweight. Both are very good at balancing out lighter fly rods, both have good drag systems and both have more of a classic look.

Have a look:

Abel Creek

http://www.abelreels.com/pages/creeks.htm

Hardy Featherweight

http://fly.hardyfishing.com/en-us/pr...tweight-reels/

I also like these reels:

Ross

The Evolution 1 is a sweet little reel!

http://www.rossreels.com/products/fl...-fly-reels.cfm

Lamson

And this is my standard "go to" reel for rods from 3 wt. to 10 wt. (I don't fish anything lighter than a 3 wt., but that's only a personal preference). The Lightspeed 1 and 1.5 are both very nice reels.

http://www.waterworks-lamson.com/litespeed.html

But, if your rod was meant to pair with the CFO (see Sandfly's post), then that's probably the way that I'd go.

Have fun! Reel shopping is almost as much fun as rod shopping!

Pocono
Old 08-14-2009, 08:42 PM

ksigtuck will become famous soon enoughksigtuck will become famous soon enough

Pocono,
I have the Ross Vexsis on my 5 wt and it is a great reel. I will look at some of the others that you have posted as well.
Thanks,
Tuck

Sandfly,
Have you noticed any difference in the quality of orvis's reels since they have moved their production?
Tuck
Old 08-15-2009, 08:47 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

I haven't been with orvis for 3 years now, but the quality looks the same. Just remember most reels are being outsourced today.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 08-15-2009, 02:02 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
I haven't been with orvis for 3 years now, but the quality looks the same. Just remember most reels are being outsourced today.
Agree. For example, the Hardy Featherweight that I mentioned is now made in Korea. That's where mine came from and, in my opinion, it's still a high quality reel. Love the sound that that reel makes when a fish runs with the fly.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:27 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

I would recommend either the Hardy Featherweight or the Abel TR 1. My preference tends to be with the Abel, because it's made here vs. Korea. I also suspect it's finished a bit nicer. If I could find a used British made Featherweight that would be great too as would a used UK Orvis CFO.
To me on that type of a rod, much like a Winston TMF or a Bamboo, it's just plain wrong to stick a modern large arbor reel on it. Also I like click and pawl drags over Disc drags on most freshwater fish anyway. A good one will protect a tippet better IMO.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:23 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Since it's just a line holder for a rod that size, I'd go with an Orvis BBS or CFO. The BBS reels are on sale for $100 right now.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:49 PM

I think that depends a little on what size tippet you're fishing. If it's a 7X; something that I use a lot for wild Brookies, which tend to be in the 6-9" size range, then the initial shock when the hook is set will be absorbed primarily by the rod itself. But if the drag is set right and is sensitive enough, then it can also play a role in making sure that you don't break off the fish when it runs.