The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2011, 04:25 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Angler's Roost Reel question

I'm looking for a reel for a 5wt Batson RX6 rod I'm building (halfway done with the epoxy). I'm looking to get a reel that will work for this rod and also that will fit with a 5wt bamboo blank I'm hoping to finish this Spring.

I like the look and price of the Angler's Roost 102M reel, but don't know much about it. From reading the stuff I can find on this forum I see really mixed reviews and some strong opinions about Angler's Roost. The article on Reels You Can't Afford Not to Buy didn't answer my questions so I thought I'd post them here to see if anyone has used one of the reels and could speak to it.

My concerns / questions are:
  1. Is it going to fall apart - basic but important concern.
  2. Is the drag at least basically smooth - this isn't a reel for salmon or anything, mainly small to medium size trout.
  3. Does the line hang-up between the spool and rest of the reel?
  4. Do the feet generally fit most reel seats?

From what I've read, converting it to right hand retrieve is a bit of a trick and it doesn't come with info on how much backing to use. If anyone has info/tips on these I'd welcome them.

Thanks

William
Old 03-05-2011, 09:24 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Angler's Roost Reel question

Take a look at Allen reels