The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2011, 07:48 AM

jikjak is on a distinguished road
Default Reel advice for a beginner

hi there,

im new to this forum and have never fly fished before but i would like to give it a try since i was recently given a fly rod. the past few years i have done different types of fishing with baitcaster and spinning reels.

i now have a fly fishing dvd to watch and im planning to get some instruction on how to use the rod properly.

i do need to get a reel for this rod so im hoping that some of u can help me pick one. i dont mind spending up to $150 and i was thinking of one of the sage 1800 series or 1600 series reels since its the same make as the rod. im just not sure which exact size/model would be ideal. id also prefer to buy a more versatile reel that would allow it to be used on a bigger rod in the future just in case i get hooked.

the rod is a Sage DS series fly rod, 2 piece, 4wt 7'6'

thanks in advance!
Old 03-06-2011, 08:34 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Reel advice for a beginner

That is an older rod. Pretty much a entry level rod by Sage.
At the risk of sounding like a parrot, Allen reel and flyline. That would be a good starting point for you.
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...discounts.html
Old 03-06-2011, 08:54 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

No past experience with Sage reels, but I'm getting ready to purchase a Sage 1800 for my 3wt Sage Vantage rod. Hopefully it will easily hold a DT3F line with some room for backing.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
That is an older rod. Pretty much a entry level rod by Sage.
At the risk of sounding like a parrot, Allen reel and flyline. That would be a good starting point for you.
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...discounts.html
with that being said, is this rod still any good?

thanks for the link, ill check out those reels.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:14 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

The DS series of rods were and still are good sticks to learn with. They have a medium to medium fast action that is very forgiving to cast. What they give up are the lighter feels that the newer graphites offer. I say learn with the rod, then you can move on to something newer. Actually I'd keep the DS as a creek rod and get a heavier rod for bigger water.

As for reels, many seem to like the Allens. I cannot comment on it since I have not touched one.

This is just a personal preference. For short creek rods, I prefer click and pawl style drag system reels. They are generally lighter and start up smoother when fish start to pull line out. They also just seem right. One such reel is a Redington Drift 3/4. It sells in most shops for $99.95. The way that I describe it best is that the Drift is a classic style click reel with a mid-arbor and modern porting.

Redington is Sage's sister company.

MP

PS Welcome to the forum.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:39 PM

thanks for the welcome!

thats good to hear about the rod as well. ill grab myself a reel and start practicing. ill check out those allen reels and the redingtons as well. that drift reel u linked looks nice.

since sage and redington are sister companies, does that mean that redington makes the reels for sage?

now as far as size of the reel goes, is it ok to use a reel that is for 5/6 wt lines or 4-6 wt lines on this rod or do i need to stay with 3/4 wt reels?
Old 03-07-2011, 05:54 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Sage and Redington reels are made offshore (Korea, I believe).

Many 5/6 reels are so light that it won't change the balance on a 4 weight rod. I use a click and pawl 5/6 reel on a 4 weight rod, and the balance seems fine.

MP
Old 03-07-2011, 07:53 PM

great at least that allows for a little more versatility with the reel in the future!
would that even apply if the rod is only 7.5 feet long?
Old 03-07-2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jikjak View Post
great at least that allows for a little more versatility with the reel in the future!
would that even apply if the rod is only 7.5 feet long?
The reel choice of using a 3/4 or a 5/6 reel will depend on the reel that you get.

Many quality 5/6 weight reels are being made under 5 ounces. It is becoming common to see some quality 5/6 weight reels under 4 ounces. With line and backing, balance should be not an issue especially with your 7.5 foot 4 weight DS. Keep in mind that the DS is made using heavier blank material compared to the materials of today.

For best results, take your rod to the shop to check balances for yourself.

MP
Old 03-08-2011, 03:21 PM

alright, ill do that.
thanks so much for your help!