The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2011, 11:34 AM

edwardo is on a distinguished road
Default 3/5 wt or 5/7 wt for 5 wt rod?

I'm looking for a reel for a 5wt rod and Allen Trout series reel. Should I get the smaller 3/5wt or 5/7wt? Or goes it matter much? Since the reels are sold online I can't try them on the rod. The rod is a TFO Pro 9', 5wt.

Thanks,
Eddie
Old 03-06-2011, 01:30 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3/5 wt or 5/7 wt for 5 wt rod?

Eddie: Personally, I would get the larger reel. I always like to have a reel that has a good length of backing plus the fly line without causing crowding on the reel. If you tend to just fish small streams where the backing isn't as important than the smaller reel might work better for you.

Larry

Old 03-06-2011, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Eddie,

I would think about what rod you might buy next. If you think a 3wt or 4wt is in your future than the 3/5 would be my choice. Just get a second spool and use the same reel on both rods. If you see a 6wt or 7wt in your future then go for the 5/7. Again the one reel can serve both rods with a spare spool.

Frank
Old 03-06-2011, 05:01 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I would get the bigger reel. I am one of those guys that thinks there is no such thing as to much backing. I err on the big side every time. You never know when that giant fish will come along, maybe even a species you were not fishing for and peel you out into the next zip code. For example, a 38 1/2" Northern Pike I got Smallmouth fishing with my 5 wt. Better yet, it had bite marks all the way down it, where a much bigger one had ahold of it. What if it had been the bigger Pike?
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:07 PM

whitefish_slayer is on a distinguished road

I would go with the 5/7 as well, my 3/5 fits my 3wt perfectly. It would be a stretch to throw 80ft of 5wt line and backing on that little reel.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:12 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

I absolutely agree with the other posters. About the time you hook up with the fish of your dreams you'll want the added beef...-Mike
Old 03-07-2011, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

The TFO Pro series are not especially light, so I'd go with the larger option.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:55 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

To me, if depends on the rod...I prefer some decent balance in my rod/reel outfits. Usually, I go smaller, unless I think I'm going to overline...that probably does not make much difference, but I do consider this...
Old 03-10-2011, 11:58 AM

edwardo is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the advice guys; I ordered the Allen Alpha 5/6 reel. I would have bought one of his NanoTi rods also but I can't wait that long. This will be my first rig.

Eddie