The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 11:06 PM

hypobaricstalker will become famous soon enoughhypobaricstalker will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to hypobaricstalker
Default Click and Pawl

I hope I titled it by the proper terminology. I just bought my first click and pawl reel, and ABEL T/R2, and it should be this week to be fished this weekend. Is there a "proper" way or "tactic" to the click and pawl reel? Any Youtube's or Vimeo's someone could point out?
Old 03-08-2011, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Click and Pawl

Do you mean something like "palming the rim" for additional drag?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-08-2011, 11:13 PM

hypobaricstalker will become famous soon enoughhypobaricstalker will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to hypobaricstalker

I mean, what's the proper way to "palm the rim" or is there a proper way?
Old 03-08-2011, 11:15 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

You may have to palm the rim if a fish wants to run on you, but other than that, fish it like any other reel.

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 PM ----------

Press your palm against the spool rim to slow down a fish.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

As Dennis mentioned "Press your palm against the spool rim to slow a running fish".

If I may add to what Dennis said.....start with light pressure from your palm just below the reel, over time you'll get a feeling as to where your drag should be set and just how much pressure you need to apply. Heavy tippet = more drag, light tippet = less drag.
And one more thing....watch your knuckles and avoid contact with the reel handle when you have a hot fish running, along with bruised knuckles, it can cost you the fish.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-09-2011, 12:18 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi,

I have used Orvis CFO's and Hardy marquis reels for a long time and can say it will come natural for you. You needn't watch a film to get on to palming your reel. As long as you are fishing for trout the clicker may give you enough drag for all but the largest specimen.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-09-2011, 11:21 PM

mathews42 is on a distinguished road

The Abel TR series reels are nice! I had a TR-1. Ended up getting a TXL and matching it to a Click 3. The TR- series do not have a "adjustable drag" its a tensioning spring, that you should get a extra of. You have to preset what you want. Keep it loose enough you don't nest your line. They are spring creek rods mainly. But you'll get the hang of it when you get a fish on. Instinct will take over! You will have a lot of fun with that reel.

Jeff
Old 03-10-2011, 12:30 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Maybe it's just the size fish I catch, but most times just using the pad of your finger as the drag will get you out of trouble and still prevent popping tippets.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:11 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Not that it's an issue here, but on spools without an exposed rim you'd stick your finger right inside the reel and finger the line.
It's not rocket science (and many people hate that )

Or you could do what I do...... but maybe not to an Abel

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:31 AM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

I actually made the transition from conventional dragged reels to all click and pawl except for SW and Carp a few years ago. I've caught everything that swims in FW except King Salmon in AK including some huge Silvers in AK, and MI Kings with click and pawl reels. Many of my reels don't even have palming rims, but I find adjusted properly a light bit of fingertip pressure is all that is needed. I'm convinced that for trout, especially on light tippets, C & P is the best system. A disc drag will not both prevent overruns and protect light tippets during hook set. It just can't do it.

If you set your C & P properly you will not get overrun when a good fish takes a nice run. So your basic responsibility is to provide extra pressure. It's really not as hard or as much pressure as you think. Although I must admit, a big silver in AK can pull. The bigger C & P reels have larger pawls and heavier duty springs. For years these reels the go to reels for Atlantic Salmon, So they'll probably handle most of the fish you encounter.