The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 11:18 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Nautilus FWX

Does anyone know if Nautilus reworked their drag system over the last year or so. I kept reading the top end drag isn't that stout. When I crank the drag down I can barely pull the line , the drag stops my ability to pull line off the spool. This feels every bit as stout as my Bauer, Evoultions etc etc

Plus it's dead sexy

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
sbreech likes this.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 02-04-2013, 12:01 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I fish an FWX 5/6 for larger trout on my Zenith #5 and it has all the drag strength plus super fine tunability a trout or light saltwater fisher would ever need. The stopping power of an NV?...no but that does not make it weak. It is a better built and better designed reel than most anything else in it's class and price range with the possible exception of the equally fine Hardy Ultralite DD. One cautionary note: FWX's are very light weight for their capacity and care must be taken that they will balance their intend rod properly.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:30 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
I fish an FWX 5/6 for larger trout on my Zenith #5 and it has all the drag strength plus super fine tunability a trout or light saltwater fisher would ever need. The stopping power of an NV?...no but that does not make it weak. It is a better built and better designed reel than most anything else in it's class and price range with the possible exception of the equally fine Hardy Ultralite DD. One cautionary note: FWX's are very light weight for their capacity and care must be taken that they will balance their intend rod properly.

Good to know , thank you. I read so much negative about the drag I pictured something a few steps above a click-pawl. It is very light and balances the sage one / TXL . I wouldn't put one on my Zaxis however. This will be my go to reel for future UL purchases.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 02-08-2013, 10:06 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a big fan of the Itinerant Angler by Zach Matthews (listening to his interviews while working out in the morning). Today I listened to an old episode that was done back in Dec 13, 2010 with the Nautilus Reel company owner Kristen Mustad. I highly recommend you take the time to listen to this podcast if your interested in Nautilus Reels and/or their drag systems, very informative (cork vs newer materials for higher end sealed drag systems). The Itinerant Angler
imxer likes this.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:33 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

The reasons I picked up an FWX are weight, cost and because they're built within our shores.
The drag is fine for trout fishing. As someone else said, you can always use the exposed palming rim to help slow down a hot fish but that when combined with the additional drag of the line through the water and the friction of the line through the guides should add enough drag to control most fish that that this reel is designed to use on.
The only criticism I have about it is the less than ideal bushings they use over bearings and, on my reel anyhow, the sloppy fit between the bushings and the spindle.
I'm glad to see a manufacturer have a bit of faith in this country by making their gear here and I look forward to watching them grow. For the decent price they charge for their U.S.A. made reels they are my heros. I wish them all the best.
imxer, cletus and sbreech like this.

Last edited by Jackster; 02-11-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:47 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I spent some time with Kristen Mustad at the Nautilus both at Somerset. He assured me that there have been no modifications of the drag in FWX and maintained that he considered it appropriate for even bonefishng...though, of course, he would prefer his NV on the flats. As I have said previously, there are very few reel/drag designs that are scalable from light trout to bluewater and Mustad has intelligently designed FWX for lines up to #7 or 8 and NV from #6 on up to tuna. The two FWX we have feature fine tolerances and I have not noticed and fit issues with internal components. For mid-$200's there is no other US made reel in its league in my view and it bests some more expensive reels as well. I will caution that the reel is light enough to be problematic; the 5/6 was too light for the rod I intended to mate it to and and I had to use it with a different rod that was lighter. Light though it is, it is reasonably rigid and flexes less than a bunch of reels I examined at the show. Some light weight reels popular in this forum I felt like I could crush in my hands but not the FWX. One maker I had hoped to visit with, Galvan, was not present at the Show. One of my buddys did buy one of their reels in a saltwater size from a vendor though at a very reasonable price. Now it had no backing or line on it which would have helped but empty it was one flexy piece of work. Like I said, few reel designs are scalable from little to large and perhaps in a trout size it might have been less so. I am keeping an open mind until a sample comes my way and I am in the market for a new 5/6 size reel for this Spring to put Cortland Boss on.
pete a likes this.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:48 PM

hensonrods is on a distinguished road

I have the Nautilus....and Hatch and Abel......The Nautilus is fine.....and the drag is PLENTY for a 4 wt....I am building a Sage One 11-6 switch rod as a nymphing rod ....both the Hatch and Nautilus work great
Old 12-23-2013, 12:37 AM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

I have the FWK 7/8, Ross Evolution LT 4 and still can't decide which is better. Love them both.

As far as drags I feel they can handle anything that can be slain with a 7-8 wt rod. Drags are fine, remember a full line out puts tremendous drag of it's own and they both have rims for a purpose.

The FWK is really classy looking, I bought have the silver but bought an extra spool that is black and that looks cool.

Unless a reel is some over built tank they will all bend/damage with abuse. So be careful.

Pete A.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:13 AM

How does the loaded FWX 3/4 balance with your ONE? I had to go with a 7/8 (yes, in matte clear finish) for my ONE #5 to get correct balance. These reels are very light for their capacity.

Spreech, why don't you sign up for membership in our Forum, you would be made welcome.
fly2field likes this.