The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2011, 09:35 AM

simms will become famous soon enoughsimms will become famous soon enough
Default Nautilus FWX

Hey Guys,

Anyone pick up one of these gems? I have a 3/4 and its a beauty, however I have not been able to take it out yet...Damn ice/snow here in Massachusetts still have the rivers locked solid...

Was thinking about equipping one of my 6 weights with the 7/8 FWX's, so was hoping to hear some good reviews on these babies and you ya'll like them...If not the FWX, its gonna be a galvan.

Thanks, looking forward to the replies!!!
Old 03-12-2011, 06:57 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Nautilus FWX

I am looking at purchasing the FWX also and was hoping this thread would give the the 2nd approval I need. I looked at this one on the Caddis Fly Shop web site and they say they used them for the guides and rentals, sounds like they love them. Give them a call, nice helpful guys.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:53 AM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2

Guys, you might want to try a Search. There have been a number of threads discussing the FWX, particularly its use for higher line weights.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:04 AM

The search revealed only one POST onthe FWX...Please can you link me to others since you seem to know better?
Old 03-13-2011, 03:24 PM

Try searching "Nautilus FWX.". It pulled in a lot more hits (some related to their other reels that need to be weeded out).

Really Recent
Nautilus FWX Reel

You started this one, but there weren't many replies.
Any reviews on the Nautilus FWX yet (FW then?)?

More below...

6wt Saltwater Reel for Sage Xi3

Medium priced reel ($200-$300)

Nautilus FWX compared to Galvan?

Didn't mean to be a jerk. It just ends up being really nice when this stuff finds it's way into a few good threads rather than spread out over a bunch of short ones.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:53 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

ddombos2 Thanks for information.
With the Nautilus being so light and weak on high end drag I may just stick with Lamson or Ross. I am putting the new real on an 11' 4# nymph rod and want a good balance. I do like the looks of the FWX and the reviews are fine for trout... I dunno what to do
Thanks.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwin View Post
ddombos2 Thanks for information.
With the Nautilus being so light and weak on high end drag I may just stick with Lamson or Ross. I am putting the new real on an 11' 4# nymph rod and want a good balance. I do like the looks of the FWX and the reviews are fine for trout... I dunno what to do
Thanks.
I own an FW 7 Plus, and no it isn't going to lock the spool down to an absolute dead stop. That said, I think the drag is functional for many applications. There are people who use the FW 7 Series on bones and steelhead. On a 4wt rod, how much drag do you need?

An FWX 3/4 or a 5/6 would probably be a good fit on a 4wt switch rod.

Lamsons or Rosses are good options too, as are the Galvans.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:11 PM

I have the 3/4 FWX and is sick...Plenty of drag for those pesky 16'' trout on the 8' 4wt..

I am going to go witht he 7/8 for my steelie reel...i have a Galvan t-8, however this reel is more of a "back up"...Drag should be fine..>If not, thats why god made palms!
Old 03-13-2011, 07:26 PM

chicagojohn will become famous soon enoughchicagojohn will become famous soon enough

I also own a Nautilus FWX 3/4 and love it. I needed a reel to balance an 8 foot 4 weight, and this one did it the best. The reel is light, the drag system is very nice and certainly more than what you would need on a 3/4 weight rod.

I also own the Nautilus FW 5 reel for use on a six weight. It is only .4 ounces heavier than the comparable FWX 5/6. The old FW reels will accept the new FWX spool. Having owned this reel, purchasing a new FWX reel was an easy decision.

I have been very impressed by the quality of Nautilus Reels. My first reel was a Ross, and I still love my Ross Reels. Nautilus provides the same quality at a very competitive price. The FWX reels are actually slightly lighter than the Evolution LT series.

There are many fine reel manufacturers to choose from. Price inevitably plays a role in my decisions. Nautilus provides one of the lightest, highest quality reels for the price.
imxer likes this.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojohn View Post
I also own a Nautilus FWX 3/4 and love it. I needed a reel to balance an 8 foot 4 weight, and this one did it the best. The reel is light, the drag system is very nice and certainly more than what you would need on a 3/4 weight rod.

I also own the Nautilus FW 5 reel for use on a six weight. It is only .4 ounces heavier than the comparable FWX 5/6. The old FW reels will accept the new FWX spool. Having owned this reel, purchasing a new FWX reel was an easy decision.

I have been very impressed by the quality of Nautilus Reels. My first reel was a Ross, and I still love my Ross Reels. Nautilus provides the same quality at a very competitive price. The FWX reels are actually slightly lighter than the Evolution LT series.

There are many fine reel manufacturers to choose from. Price inevitably plays a role in my decisions. Nautilus provides one of the lightest, highest quality reels for the price.
This is not the first time I find myself in absolute agreement with chicagojohn. I like these reels up to steelhead and periodic saltwater. I'm pretty sure the Nautilus guys actually fish the FWX 7/8 on their light bonefish rigs. I would shy away from them on dedicated salmon, snook, and bull redfish.