The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2009, 07:42 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough
Default The new Ross Evolution LT

I apologize if this has been brought up on a previous thread. I glanced through the list and didn't see anything about it, so...

Ross has discontinued the Evolution series, one of my favorite Ross reels ever, and is rolling out its replacement on Nov. 1. It is simply called the Evolution LT. It has a completely different look and some features that add durability without adding weight. A "review" I found online can be seen at this link:

http://bluequillangler.wordpress.com...-evolution-lt/

In addition, there is a product description at this link:

http://www.wyomingflyfishing.com/Ros...ng-P68C17.aspx

Cabela's and other retailers are now running closeout sales. Picked up a size 2 black Evolution for $230 with shipping. I am personally a Ross Reel fan because I think their products are light, attractive, have excellent drag systems, and are made right here in Colorado (most of them anyway.) Hope this new line is as good as some of their others (Still have my Gunnison).

Hope this is useful and not redundant.

Gary
Old 10-04-2009, 08:39 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The new Ross Evolution LT

Gary: Thanks for posting, I read about the new Ross Evolution LT in the Blue Quill Anglers newsletter on friday, looks like a real winner, but didn't know that the retailers are discounting the original Evolution, which is a very nice reel!

Larry
Old 10-04-2009, 09:52 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmmm...... It looks like a Galvin design now.

Last edited by FrankB2; 09-01-2011 at 06:51 AM.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:51 PM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about

Agreed with Frank...Galvan Torque much?? I saw no reason to replace the evolution...but if they needed to spend money in their R&D department, than thats that.
I thought that maybe in its larger sizes that it could have a more robust drag system...but my Evo 1.5 has never let me down in a trout fishing situation.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:24 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

If the Torque didn't weight so much I would have owned one.
I find it nice that Ross finally decided that some of us like lighter weight reels to go with our light weight rods. Ross was on a high-weight, big gimic kick for a while. All of the visible and trendy carbon fiber chunks they could throw on reels like the Momentum didn't change the fact those suckers were comparatively heavy.
Kudo's to Ross. I might just have to add an LT to the Visions, R's and Big Games I have.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbrowntrout2 View Post
Agreed with Frank...Galvan Torque much?? I saw no reason to replace the evolution...but if they needed to spend money in their R&D department, than thats that.
I thought that maybe in its larger sizes that it could have a more robust drag system...but my Evo 1.5 has never let me down in a trout fishing situation.
The original came out in 2002. 7 years is a long run for a reel nowadays. (Sure there's exceptions- Abel, Tibor, etc)

On it looking like Galvan's Torque- I agree and I'm glad they went that route. The "Y" shape in the spool looks to me like its likely much stronger/drop-and-bend-proof than the thin "U" in the old design, and likely much stronger per its weight.

I think the robustness of the drag is why they're not going to make it above a 3.5 size. Sure, you can tackle powerful fish reasonably well with a 8wt, but hopefully folks going after offshore fish will realize that Ross's Momentum is the LT that's really built for that.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:54 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Cliff! I was just looking at the Galvan Torque when you posted.
It is a more "mainstream" looking design, and the 180 holes in the old Evo
(I counted them) reminds me of cyclists drilling out components in the 70's
and early 80's: a low-tech attempt at shaving weight. I was looking at Galvan's site to see what their reel weight
were like in comparison to the Evo LT, and the price. Looks like you can save
a few bucks with Ross, so the only question are drag and customer
service. I really like the drag on my Evo and Rhythm (same thing).
Old 10-21-2009, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

When I was looking at 5wt reels I took a hard look at the Evo. I didn't like the way it felt. It seemed too light to me. It didn't give me that solid feeling that I look for. I much preferred the Galvan Open Back. The Galvan OB felt much more solid to me.

I also compared the Galvan OB and Galvan Torque when the Torque first came on the market. They were both good reels but the OB was smoother. At least with the OB and Torque I was comparing.

Some people love the Evo and that is great. I have a Ross saltwater reel and it is a good, solid reel. One thing I dislike is they use a sleeve bearing.

Frank
Old 10-21-2009, 12:57 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I missed the Ross Reels presentation when the rep dropped by the shop. My priorities were screwed. I was out fishing for Steelhead.

From what I was told is that the Evo LT doesn't really have a radical change from the original Evo. The drag system is the same. Dimensions are different. The reel is machined more to help compensate for the addition of metal parts being added (good thing, the plastic parts made the Evo look cheap). The weight savings aren't great as one might think.

As a guy who works in a shop, I like the Evo LT for its shelf appeal. The reel looks good. The oblong shaped porting makes for a modern look. You would be surprised on how many people buy reels based off of looks.

I still have a concern with the drag on the #4 model. The drag is very smooth, but it lacks some of the higher end stopping power.

As for customer service, Ross is on top of the game. It will have a reel turned around within 48 business hours of receiving. I had an old Cimmaron serviced for a customer at no charge from Ross. Ross straightened the spool, replaced the pawl, and replaced the plastic spool cap (including the little screws).

MP
Old 10-21-2009, 02:42 PM

Here's a pic of drilled out bike component like I mentioned above:
Click the image to open in full size.

Some people drilled out the crank arm as well, and they often broke during
a race. Needless to say, this practice was quickly banned in racing.

I'm really starting to like the new Evo LT's looks, as it does have that shelf appeal. Best thing is the price: it's lower! Not to start a debate, but I wonder if it's all made in the USA. I guess a quick call to Brandt at Ross would end
any speculation about that.

EDIT: Here's an even more "brilliant" drilling effort !

Click the image to open in full size.

The cyclist in me always cringes at drill holes, so the Evo LT is winning my heart