The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2011, 01:14 PM

martin trj is on a distinguished road
Default Saltwater reels question

Hello everybody,
Just out of curiosity, if you had to choose between the following:
Pflueger Trion or G loomis venture 7

Which your pick? It's for light saltwater fishing (8wt line).
Thanks
Old 03-13-2011, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Saltwater reels question

Hi Martin,

I would choose the one that weighs a little more and hopefully has the best line capacity to go with the weight. I'm guessing the drags are comparable so it would come down to what would counter balance the rod once I had a line on it. I'm not familiar with the reels but have probably seen them in the display case in town.

Not a great answer from a guy who owns both but better than no answer right...........

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-13-2011, 03:19 PM

simms will become famous soon enoughsimms will become famous soon enough

You couldn't get me to fish with the VENTURE if you PAID ME! A few buddies tried the venture on Salmon and within a weekend they were burned up...Pair that harshness from those big fish with the saltwater, and you might as well flush the 100 bucks youll spend on it down the bowl...
Old 03-13-2011, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

After reading the post from simms about the Venture reel I should tell you one of the reels I have used for many salmon in both surf and fresh fishing waters. A Hardy Viscount LA 7/8 circa 2000 makes a fine reel. I have two of these and after more running fish that I would take a stab at numbering the drag is as good as new. I also use a Cascapedia 8/9 in both salt and fresh and it too preforms to the 9's.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-13-2011, 06:20 PM

simms will become famous soon enoughsimms will become famous soon enough

Hardy,

How do you like that cacapedia? My local fly shop has a few brand new ones at farkin killer prices...They are prob one of the hottest reels I ever saw... Hows the drag on that 8/9? Thanks Hardy!! (sorry to hi jack the thread)
Old 04-02-2011, 02:12 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin trj View Post
Hello everybody,
Just out of curiosity, if you had to choose between the following:
Pflueger Trion or G loomis venture 7

Which your pick? It's for light saltwater fishing (8wt line).
Thanks
I started SW flyfishing with a used Trion, it's a little on the heavy side but I can tell you I still have it and fish it today. Very solid reel.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:42 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

My only recommendation is decide what your max budget is and search the web for some deals. Many online shops are selling some high end SW reels on clearance. I would also look at eBay, I would rather have a good quality used reel than a low end new one any day.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi martin trj,

These are both nice looking reels but not sure how they would hold up as a saltwater reel. The Trion seems to be a forged, machined reel and the Loomis is a cast machined reel. Forged fly reels usually means stamped but I don't know how the Trion is built. An over sized forged or cast reel is produced and then machined to reach finish measurements. This provides a low cost reel to manufacture with reasonable fit and finish. Neither claim to have a sealed brake or sealed ball bearings. I think both would work for a while and if the budget is tight I might try the Trion.

Just not my first choice for a saltwater reel. For a hundred bucks there is not a lot to choose from. Allen Fly Fishing's new saltwater Alpha II reel would be a good choice but I don't know when it will be available or what it cost. Based on his other reels the price should be really good and it is fully machined from bar stock.

Frank
Old 04-02-2011, 10:06 PM

martin trj is on a distinguished road

Thanks Frank, I found a Lamson Konic for $ 80 at Sport Chalet. I'm going to take it to the surf tomorrow, I'll report the results.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:52 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Martin,
Let us know how the reel holds up to repeated salt use.

MP