The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Reels (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/)
-   -   Use Center Pin Reel or Alvey Reel as a Fly Reel (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/11576-use-center-pin-reel-alvey-reel-fly-reel.html)

EastTexas 10-28-2009 11:41 AM

Use Center Pin Reel or Alvey Reel as a Fly Reel

Can I use a YouTube - Centerpin Casting for Beginners from flyandfloatfishing.com as a Fly Reel?
I just found out about these reels last night.

Another reel I'm thinking about is an ? (Watch all 3 parts of the video!)

I'm thinking I could get rid of the line mess with side casting?

Frank Whiton 10-28-2009 03:20 PM

Re: Use Center Pin Reel or Alvey Reel as a Fly Reel

Hi EastTexas,

You can use any reel you like for fly casting. You will find that a Center Pin Reel is intended to be use with a mono line and there is no fly casting as done in Fly Fishing. Pin Reel fishing is done with a long rod with bait. The cast is a pendulum type cast and the rod is not used to propel the line or bait like a spinning rod or fly rod.

The side reel cast in the film will cause your line to twist and there is no mechanism to untwist it as you reel in the line. Living in Texas I don't know of a lot of places you might find Pin Reel fishing beneficial.

The first spinning reel I ever used had a spool that you turned sideways to cast. It was worthless. When you wound the line back in it didn't have a bail to untwist the line.

Frank

sandfly 10-28-2009 05:30 PM

I have been using alveys for years, the important ting is to incorporate a swivel before the leader. In ny you are allowed 4 foot from swivel to fly or bait. they can be used just like a center pinner. The nice thing about an Alvey is you can drop them in sand and just rinse off and they keep going. made to handle LARGE fish. I would head to Padre Island and do some 300 yd. casting. They are great for longggg distance. I use mine on the beach all the time. you can get the c4 model for around 50.00 bucks.

EastTexas 10-30-2009 11:31 AM

I have always like the idea of a Alvey Reel, but I don't think they would be too good for Freshwater Bass Fishing with artificial lures on a small lake?

sandfly 10-30-2009 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastTexas (Post 71073)
I have always like the idea of a Alvey Reel, but I don't think they would be too good for Freshwater Bass Fishing with artificial lures on a small lake?

they would work just slow down the retrieve. I have had 2 oz. hopkins skip across the surface under normal retrieve.

EastTexas 10-31-2009 08:14 PM

Thanks for the info on Center Pin & Alvey Reels!

To me it seems that Alvey Reels are better for use with live bait than artificial lures?

I also need to mooch some more reel info ;)

It seems you can use a Mooching Reel as a Fly Reel?

Our choice of fly reels in East Texas is simple for the most part. They are more or less $50 & most are less. But they work just fine for bass & panfish.

burk48237 11-03-2009 10:18 PM

The Alvey I'm not personally familiar with, I've only seen pictures. But a Centerpin reel would be a disaster as a fly reel. Most are designed to provide the least resistance possible when feeding line, They would overrun way to easily when stripping line while fly casting. Also most have no drag to speak off, even my vintage Hardy click and Pawls provide more initial drag pressure. And the good ones cost as much or more then a good fly reel.

EastTexas 11-06-2009 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burk48237 (Post 71515)
The Alvey I'm not personally familiar with, I've only seen pictures. But a Centerpin reel would be a disaster as a fly reel. Most are designed to provide the least resistance possible when feeding line, They would overrun way to easily when stripping line while fly casting. Also most have no drag to speak off, even my vintage Hardy click and Pawls provide more initial drag pressure. And the good ones cost as much or more then a good fly reel.

Thanks for all the Reel Info 8)

How does the Cortland Mono compare with Berkley Trilene Big Game?
More stuff we just don't have in East Texas 8(

I have some Cortland Concept Flylines in WF/F & WF/S. IMHO it's on par with Airflow 7000 Line. To me most of the lines feels about the same, cast about the same with me.

The odd thing is I tested DT & WF Lines at Orvis Day & I can cast a lot better with the DT. Why I can is just bugging me to no end.