The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2009, 01:48 PM

wtravis is on a distinguished road
Default Suggestions Please

All comments and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I am looking to buy a 5 wt. rod and an 8 wt rod. The 5 will be used mostly in rivers for Rainbow and Brown Trout. The 8 wt used mostly on beaches for Snook.

However I am hoping to get away with ONE REEL for both rods. Fishing is by no means new to me but fly fishing is and this will be my first equipment.

A 7-9 wt or 8-10 wt reel will obviously fit an 8 wt line and rod.

My Question is: Will the same reel (7-9 or 8-10) also work loaded with 5 wt line and a 5 wt rod?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Suggestions Please

Travis,

Welcome to the forum;

Yes there are many reels available that will fill your need. I own a Lamson Velocity 3.5 that with the addition of an extra spool will serve on a one hand 7wt trout rod and a two hand 13' rod.

Ideally having a reel dedicated to each rod has been my goal. It is hard to find one that can be moved between rods of different line weight and length while offering a perfect balance to both rods. However if you shop carefully paying close attention to the weight of the actual reel and the cost of extra spools you can find a happy & acceptable medium.

There will be other response that may give a more clear and detailed answer regarding brands of reels.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-02-2009, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's not a good idea to use the same reel for both rods,if you want to do it you'll have to buy two spools ,and put a lot of backing or an old line with the #5 line,furthermore you won't get a good balance with the rod.Instead of buying two spools save for a good reel or buy a cheap reel for the 5 line.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

You're right Jean Paul, I was just trying to find a way to give it both ways. I'm not so sure the Lamson is going to cut it on the long rod but I have a couple Orvis Odyssey reels if I need the weight.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:00 PM

I have read that the loaded reel should weight about 1.5 times the swing weight of the rod. It is possible to find a 8-10 wt reel to match that weight as long as I use a heavier than normal 5 wt rod. Then matching a more average weight (ounce) rod for the 8 wt. If I search around this should not be a problem right?
Old 11-02-2009, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Travis,

You've got me on that one. I'm not up to speed on swing weight, (old school here) I'm kind of a dinosaur I guess. I think that what we are headed toward here is matching a reel to each rod. I would put the money on the snook reel and just get a line holder for the trout rig. That is unless you're fishing for big trout and catch them regular. In that case I'd use the big game reel for the trout too.

Ard

Old 11-02-2009, 11:10 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: buy the rod, and then find a reel
to fit your needs. Choosing a 5wt as heavy as an 8wt will be a drag.
You can pick up something like an Okuma SLV 5/6 for $60 retail. I've used
them quite a bit, and they are a very nice reel for the money. They are
cast, but must be machined a bit as well, since they don't wobble like so
many other cast reel. The drag is infinitely adjustable, and smooth as anything else (large impregnated cork surface).

Having said that, I use a Ross Rhythm #2 for my 5wts, and have a Rhythm
3.5 for my 8wt. I bought the reels at a huge discount after they were discontinued, and the spare spools were $29/each! Lots of deals can be
found on closeouts. Cableas was blowing out Ross Momentum saltwater
reels for peanuts early this past summer.

Hi Ard,
Swing weight is part of the Common Cent System for measuring rod action/wt, etc.
I read the article a year ago, and then forgot most of it.....I don't even remember if that's
the correct name of the "system".
Old 11-03-2009, 12:18 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Putting an 8 weight reel on a 5 weight rod can be done, but it will feel unbalanced. Simply put, it won't feel right when you are casting.

Here are some questions. Do you want to deal with changing out lines if you want to use one reel for two rods? Do you plan on using one line for both rods? Do you know a trout line performs lousy in warm water (it goes limp)? Do you know that a warm water line performs lousy in cold water (it doesn't form tighter loops as well as the recommended line)? Will you just get a spare spool and two different lines?

Spend $24.95 for a line holder (Pflueger Medalist 1494) for your 5 weight or the Okuma that FrankB2 mentioned. Those reels are definitely cheaper than a spare spool for a quality 8 weight reel. If you feel the need to upgrade later, you will now have a backup. Make sure to get a quality trout line that will suit your needs.

Buy a dedicated 8 weight reel for your Snook rod. Make sure that you get the line that will have a core designed for tropical temperatures.

MP
Old 11-03-2009, 03:58 PM

Thanks for all the input guys. I was going to use one reel with an extra spool and switch it out depending on the 8 or 5 wt rod. I think I have figured to do what you all have suggested.

I am going to purchase a reel for the 5wt rod and a reel for the 8 wt.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtravis View Post
Thanks for all the input guys. I was going to use one reel with an extra spool and switch it out depending on the 8 or 5 wt rod. I think I have figured to do what you all have suggested.

I am going to purchase a reel for the 5wt rod and a reel for the 8 wt.
You're welcome...you won't regret it