The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2203Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2013, 11:34 AM

grouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Reel Love; the Fly Reel Picture Thread

The 7/8 is on a S4S 8wt and the 9/10 is on a S4S 10wt. A very long time ago I came up with the idea of having a matching set of salt rods. I never got a chance to fill that with my 7wt Heliply because I couldn't find a new 9wt after they were discontinued. I am kinda glad to, the S4S's are fantastic rods. Thanks for the compliments guys!
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:06 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

One of my new additions to the lineup, A T-10. I spent a week with it recently and it performed flawlessly as one might imagine.

Click the image to open in full size.

Reel love? OH YEAH!
Old 10-21-2013, 02:50 PM

miamimikepa will become famous soon enoughmiamimikepa will become famous soon enough

Well a little bird left the first half of my Christmas present to myself on my porch today...Abel Super 5 in Bronze. Just have to get a little more scratch together and hopefully the other half will bo on its way soon...Scott Radian. Sorry for the crappy pics, all I have is my phone.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:08 PM

gdogg is on a distinguished road

Cortland Retro I click/pawl on my BVK 3 weight

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:34 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

another classic medalist. 1492

casey

ARFE
Old 10-26-2013, 11:06 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Casey,

I like it!

Dennis
Old 10-27-2013, 10:02 AM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamimikepa View Post
Well a little bird left the first half of my Christmas present to myself on my porch today...Abel Super 5 in Bronze. Just have to get a little more scratch together and hopefully the other half will bo on its way soon...Scott Radian. Sorry for the crappy pics, all I have is my phone.

Miami,

Those Abels look really nice. I have a suggestion for you: I noticed those reels have some updated features that didn't show up until Abel started making the narrower spools on their Super Series. Measure the width and diameter of the spool and compare them to the specs for the Super 5N on their website. Abel Reels - Super Series Reel Selector

You might find that you actually purchased two Super 5N's that were marked as Super 5 instead.

I bought a Super 9 from a dealer on E-bay a while back. It was brand new, but heavily discounted, since the 9 is no longer made (now it's the 9-10N). When I received it, I noticed it had a tall and narrow spool, and all the new design features that came out after the N's were introduced. It has very different dimensions than my older Super 8's.

Sure enough, I actually got a new 9-10N with a drag knob that says Super 9.

-VB
Hardyreels, kelkay and grouch like this.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:22 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Casey, This 1492 is identical, right down to the turned pillars, to my very first and for years, only, fly reel. I still have it I believe in a cardboard box in one of my fishing closets. Coincidently, its matching rod, a Sewell Dunton Supreme 8'/HDH 3pc. is sitting in its tube on my desk as I write this.
caseywise likes this.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:12 AM

miamimikepa will become famous soon enoughmiamimikepa will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by von behr View Post
Miami,

Those Abels look really nice. I have a suggestion for you: I noticed those reels have some updated features that didn't show up until Abel started making the narrower spools on their Super Series. Measure the width and diameter of the spool and compare them to the specs for the Super 5N on their website. Abel Reels - Super Series Reel Selector

You might find that you actually purchased two Super 5N's that were marked as Super 5 instead.

I bought a Super 9 from a dealer on E-bay a while back. It was brand new, but heavily discounted, since the 9 is no longer made (now it's the 9-10N). When I received it, I noticed it had a tall and narrow spool, and all the new design features that came out after the N's were introduced. It has very different dimensions than my older Super 8's.

Sure enough, I actually got a new 9-10N with a drag knob that says Super 9.

-VB
Thanks for the heads up...as soon as I get a chance I'll measure the reel and let you know. The pics above are actually the same reel. I took pics with my phone both with and without a flash. Hard to get a correct pic showing correct color. I'll have to take pics outside one day.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:39 AM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

Miami, I'm surprised. It looks like two completely different reels. I'm interested to know if yours is an "n" model. There's a good possibility that it is. Either way, it is a great reel, but it would be pretty cool if you got the latest model at a close out price.

-VB