The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2183Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2013, 05:53 PM

rockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Reel Love; the Fly Reel Picture Thread

itchmesir, the Sport King was branded by Ocean City for Montgomery Wards if my failing brain is remembering correctly. Good reels.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:09 PM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light

Cheeky reels huh, how do these perform against say lamson-waterworks reels, rather, what is something that would set them apart from a company like lamson, in terms of performance? I'm not sure how I feel about the colors, however the structure of them looks sound. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:43 PM

Location: South Florida & the White Mountains of New Hampshire
MAD777 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewlushlife View Post
Cheeky reels huh, how do these perform against say lamson-waterworks reels, rather, what is something that would set them apart from a company like lamson, in terms of performance? I'm not sure how I feel about the colors, however the structure of them looks sound. Any input would be appreciated.
A Cheeky was included in Trident's 8 wt. reel shootout last year. At least you can confirm some specs and see the strength & smoothness of the drag in that particular model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-07-2013, 07:37 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

You can not compare Cheeky to Lamson. I am not going to reiterate my too often repeated wiping of the too wide/too shallow worst designed aspect ratio reel on the market...I most recently ranted my elaborate distaste for these flexy counterintuitive reels in a recent thread below.

Cheeky, my experience was with Mojo bonefishing in Abaco, has a potent, stacked synthetic element drag that is sealed in a compact central module. Cheeky Reels are about 1" in width and expand their large arbor backing capacity by recessing a tapered channel into the inside circumference of the spool. They are highly ported but not at the expense of robustness. Lush, they are somewhat comparable to the Orvis Mirage with their Asian but quality manufacture and large arbor stacked drag design but are considerably more fine-tunable (again, my experience with both reels is in saltwater sizes only) and have more character, "charm". The "Cheeky" colors are something that has either attracted or repelled potential high performance reel byers and, being hip to that, Cheeky has made their reels available in clear aluminum finish for a more traditional aesthetic.

If you make it to the Somerset Show this January, stop by their booth; they are very dedicated and personable reel designers...more serious than their brash color schemes might indicate.

Cheeky Mojo - Abaco Bone
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:35 PM

Mrtrout will become famous soon enoughMrtrout will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolf hukka View Post
Here's my latest aquisition, a black Ari't Hart ARAS with ported frame.
I'm told it's the only one of its kind in existence......

The North American Fly Fishing Forum - rudolf hukka's Album: My Ari'T Hart reel collection - Picture

The North American Fly Fishing Forum - rudolf hukka's Album: My Ari'T Hart reel collection - Picture

Rudolf

Nice Rudolf, give me a shout when you get sick of it.
S.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:27 AM

rudolf hukka is on a distinguished road

Cheeky
Take care mate, speak soon!!
R
Old 11-10-2013, 07:43 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

Here's a little Hardy love:

Click the image to open in full size.Uploaded with ImageShack.com

Old 11-11-2013, 07:14 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by von behr View Post
Here's a little Hardy love:

VB, that's just beautiful! I now have reel envy!
Hardyreels, kelkay and von behr like this.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:33 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

Thanks, Jaybo. It had to be done eventually. My trigger was seeing that Hardy removed the traditional trout sizes with the agate line guide from their line up.

-VB
Hardyreels and jaybo41 like this.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:38 PM

grouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura about

I have a new favorite reel. My wife surprised me with one of the best gifts a fly gear addict could ask for, the perfect reel for my much beloved Scott Heliply 7wt. She snuck out of work early last week, drove two hours to Darien CT to pick up a reel she seen me fondle on our last trip to the Angler. She bought me a Bauer Rogue 4 in black. While it's not the most photogenic reel I own, it will soon become my favorite. The drag is butter smooth and it has a wide range of adjustment. While I normally prefer cork drags instead of sealed units the Rogue fixes my concern with sealed drags, it's user maintainable. I can take it apart and clean the insides from time to time if for no other reason than I like to dicker with things. I have been wanting a Bauer for a long time. Happy man I am.

Click the image to open in full size.