The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2183Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 08:23 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Reel Love; the Fly Reel Picture Thread

nice reels all!
here's an old OC 66 i recently picked up...

Click the image to open in full size.

casey

ARFE
Old 11-11-2013, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by von behr View Post
Thanks, Jaybo. It had to be done eventually. My trigger was seeing that Hardy removed the traditional trout sizes with the agate line guide from their line up.

-VB
I don't mean to instigate but you will need a 3 3/8 to be well outfitted Great for 9' 5 & 6 weights..........
von behr and jaybo41 like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-11-2013, 08:46 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I don't mean to instigate but you will need a 3 3/8 to be well outfitted Great for 9' 5 & 6 weights..........
Ard, is that a throw down? You shouldn't tempt me.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:04 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Just saying, the reel you have is a beautiful thing but will be used on flea rods and other light sticks, check the tackle junkie threads I left you a message there about rods.
jaybo41 likes this.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:12 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

Ard,

Thanks for the suggestion on the "flea" rods. I checked out a couple of those lightweight Hardy rods yesterday at a shop. They are very nice. I especially liked the glass model.

I'm going to take my time on this one and check out a few others before taking the plunge. I'll find a nice match for that Perfect reel.

-Eric
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:04 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I liked my Cabelas WLx size 2.3 so much that I bought another while they are on clearance. Guess you can say I like them if I have 2 now

Hardyreels, baseman1 and pete a like this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 11-17-2013, 07:18 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

These two could also go in the Rod Love thread I suppose.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:27 PM
Administrator

But did you get a chance to have that St. John make that noise? Nice shots Jason, some beauty fish there along with the rods. What are the rods?
jaybo41 likes this.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
These two could also go in the Rod Love thread I suppose.

Awesome photos! Those could be magazine covers. Is that fish from this weekend? I'm anxious to hear how your trip with Chi went.

-VB
kelkay and jaybo41 like this.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:18 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the comments guys. Those shots were taken with an iPhone 5s, I did use the edit feature to get a better end result. I have a couple of outings with that camera as what I carried with me on stream in a Lifeproof case of course and I'm pretty pleased with the results. I'll still use my point & shoot but when the weather is bad, it's a great option. See the Steelhead Pictures and Early Morning Photo threads if you're interested in a few more shots.

The first rod is a 7100 B2X and Galvan T6. I just replaced line on it and am now using Airflo's Super Dri Mend line. For nymphing/drifting, it's ideal. It replaced Rio's Indicator line and what I've found is this one is a little more delicate. It's also PVC which should help make it last longer too. The one thing I'm not crazy about is the Hot Coral color, but getting tight to fish makes me forget about it. Given the way it performed, I can live with the color.

The second rod paired with the St. John is a 6110 Z Axis switch. This is the first 2 handed rod I bought. The reel on that rod is an ideal pairing, it's very light in hand all things considered. Ohhhhh that noise! There's just something about it. It was singing a good bit over the weekend, I wish I'd landed more of them but we ran into some hot bright fish that didn't want anything to do with my flies once they had it figured out they were hooked. Not a bad problem to have, it was fun

It was a great trip, we couldn't have planned it any better. Lots of fish in the system, good numbers brought to hand, great flow/color and plenty of room to work runs and pools. The latter two can be a real challenge so based on those to elements alone, it was a great trip.
Hardyreels, kelkay and von behr like this.