The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2595Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 07:57 PM

horsehead has a spectacular aura abouthorsehead has a spectacular aura abouthorsehead has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Reel Love; the Fly Reel Picture Thread

My new Allen Trout II just came in today. Can't wait to get it on the water. I couldn't be happier with the quality and the craftsmanship. The deep green is just perfect, to me at least...

Click the image to open in full size.

(The crapatalk pictures were terrible quality. Hopefully these are better!)

Last edited by horsehead; 11-19-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:56 PM

r reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nice

My two favoriteClick the image to open in full size.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:00 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

The Winston BIIIX was complaining about not having someone in the driver's seat. Something had to be done...

-VB
Old 12-06-2013, 11:09 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Reel Love; the Fly Reel Picture Thread

VB,

Your Abel Classic is a wonderful match on the Winston. What a beauty! You've got to do something about the handle on that rod though, it's far too clean
von behr likes this.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:38 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
VB,

Your Abel Classic is a wonderful match on the Winston. What a beauty! You've got to do something about the handle on that rod though, it's far too clean
Jaybo,

Thanks. You're absolutely right. It is definitely time to slime that rod.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:05 PM

hopescooter is a jewel in the roughhopescooter is a jewel in the roughhopescooter is a jewel in the roughhopescooter is a jewel in the rough

Since it's cold and can't go out for few days anyways, here's a picture of my new Hardy 5000 DD reel. Just got the line(Rio gold) spooled on today .

Old 12-09-2013, 07:55 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopescooter View Post
Since it's cold and can't go out for few days anyways, here's a picture of my new Hardy 5000 DD reel. Just got the line(Rio gold) spooled on today .

Am I doing something wrong, now the forum posts the click this image link I cant see any photos.

Using Firefox ??

Ok now that I "quoted" your post, the photo is showing full size in the posts.

PS that reel is a beauty

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 12-13-2013, 07:51 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I have a problem/addiction.........the guys at Allen got some more of my money. So that makes.........9 of them??? I will show it off when it comes in.
Joni likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 12-14-2013, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Things have a way of happening, especially when you have an internet connection. I really didn't want any more rods or reels, matter of fact I sold off a mint Martin MG-3 set because I had never bought a rod to use the reel on. So there I am, sold the reel and within a day a fellow messages me and says, "You may like this".

Yep that reel was built for LL bean around 1982 or so by the Martin Reel Company of Mohawk NY. It has handling marks because it was on a shelf without the box all this time but it was never used.........

I knew by the back of the reel who made it but when I saw the spring arm and check pawl that made me certain.

Slightly larger than the MG-3 which is the basis for the reel; because of the lip on the spool which covers the cage and allows for rim control breaking, ala' Marquis. The inside of the spool lip shows no use at all so it was a good find.

They put a little ivory colored knob on the spool and a trim line around the rim. These were known as the Martin MG-3 SS reels. So what do you figure I did next? Well I scooped up an old Phillipson 7'6" 5 weight fiberglass built for Bean and labeled the Bean LL rod. The rod is also minty and with Phillipsons superfine cigar style grip. Couldn't help it, it just happened.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-14-2013, 07:26 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Beautiful Ard, definitely a classy looking reel.