The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2151Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2011, 05:51 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Reel Love, the fly reel thread

CW

your alphas look like both are stamped 5/6, am I missing something or is one mis - marked?
I
Old 06-07-2011, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by damod View Post
Wow.. envious.. I've been looking for a Cordel Auto reel for a long while and have never found one.. Not once..

Superb Reel that.
Damond,

Welcome to the forum,

imxer,

I see what you mean, they do look to be a bit different in size but both have a 5/6 stamp.............

Too cool that you guys bumped this thread back up I was just thinking of doing it just to see if anyone would post some new reels.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-07-2011, 06:28 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

ard and imixer,
they are indeed different size alphas. i had trouble with the reel seat on my 3/4, so justin sent me a replacement, actually 2, that fit right. the reason why he sent me the 5/6 instead of the 3/4 is that when i initially contacted him, he said he didnt have any spare 3/4 seats at the time, but could send me the same seat but with a 5/6 marking. or i could wait and he would send a 3/4 marked seat when available. not really caring about the stamp at the time, i took the 5/6 stamped replacement. not a big deal.

casey

ARFE
Old 06-07-2011, 09:38 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

wooooops! i mean to be saying reel "'foot" instead of "seat"........ my bad!

ARFE
Old 08-09-2011, 09:59 PM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough

I love my bauers.....
Click the image to open in full size.
I have the MSL.5 on my 8' 4wt, the MSL2 for my 6wt, and the M3 on my 7wt. I just got the smaller reels but the M3 has been mine since 1994, but only got used for a few years before taking a long vacation touring different closets through the years. I actually just sent the M3 to Bauer for a rebuild and drag upgrade, took about a week and $62, including parts, labor, return shipping, and a new reel cover, it's just like new ready for the new rods I have for it.

I also realy like my Galvan Spoke 4 for my 5wt rod, and my Ross Canyon Big Game 4 for my 8wt rod.

I have a few others but the two reels I wouldn't think of selling or trading off would be my SA System 2 5/6l, and a J.C. Higgins reel I got from my grandfather along with an old glass rod. The J.C. Higgins outfit may not have alot of monetary value but it's worth millions to me. The SA 5/6l I got in 94(14th b-day), mom baught it, and I caught my first fish on the fly and literaly 100's of trout with it in my youth.
Hardyreels, von behr and argail like this.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:41 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

That's a nice bunch of hardware, thank you for posting the great pictures for the thread.

Ard

Old 08-10-2011, 08:39 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I recently bought a new Abel TR3. I don't know if I love it, but I really like it. I have a line on another NIB Abel TR3 for Yvonne, but the Abel Creek looks nice as well. Tough decisions.... The workmanship on the Abel is above and beyond, although I haven't even spooled a line on it yet. The first scratch is going to be a tough one. The TR3 is intended for use on my 4 and 5wt rods. I have used a click/pawl reel in the past (SA System 1), but the Abel has a much smoother action.

Abel TR-3 pictures by PHEAA - Photobucket
Old 08-10-2011, 11:14 AM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

ARD

All time favorite, CFO 4 click & pawl.

Paul
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Hi Paul,

They are about the smoothest reels I've ever used. The drag also demonstrates a very noticeable range of tension between full off and full on. That is not true of all clickers, I've kept up with my Hardy reels making sure to always release the spring tension at the end of the day. They are however no comparison to the CFO for smooth operation. Glad to hear you've got one,

Ard

Old 08-10-2011, 01:44 PM

ARD

Also have a CFO 123. Comments about the 4 also apply to the 123.

Paul