The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2212Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2014, 08:08 AM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Reel Love; the Fly Reel Picture Thread

ive picked up quite a bit of vintage gear this winter. out of the 3 reels i purchased, the cheapest one happens to be my favorite. it was the first one to see line on it

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:31 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I went out poking around today for a bit, no fish in the creek yet but the air temp was 34* so I had to get out.

That's my Marquis #5 on my 6'3" 5 weight rod.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-12-2014, 02:03 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

6'3" five weight? That's an unusual taper! milt
Old 04-12-2014, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

T&T offered one they called The Stealth Rod back in 1990 - 94 or so. They were black with black hardware and charcoal windings. The problem was they wanted a bamboo price for them, so................ I had Hal James get me a dark gray 6'6" Lamiflex Graphite and cut the butt 3".

He thought I was crazy but I convinced him I knew this was the secret weapon and so he built up the rod. Dark gray blank - smoke gray wraps - black guides - black hardware on the reel seat and a coco bolo insert = Stealth Rod for 140 dollars including an aluminum tube to fit and sock

When I first started using the rod for streamer fishing small brooks I thought it stiff. I was used to a 5'6" fiberglass and bamboo flea rod so yes it was stiff. In time I learned the rods action and adopted to it just fine. Since taking up my fishing here the rod has become valuable. These small creeks are the right size for my little bamboo flea rod but I have twice gotten hold of silver salmon in the 6 - 8 pound size. You can land an 8 pound silver with an Orvis Flea but I'm not going to do it often. This graphite has hauled in quite a few silvers and some small steelhead up to 27 - 28" size without a hitch. It's a strong blank.

So the answer is; you just cut the butt end off a 6'6" blank
milt spawn and caseywise like this.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:13 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

And obviously a good streamer stick, with a downlocking reelseat. milt
Old 04-12-2014, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Sharp you picked that out, not many downlockers these days eh? I prefer them, if I have any rods made they are always down locking.
calftail likes this.

Old 04-26-2014, 01:43 PM

jaybird267 is on a distinguished road

My newly purchased Allen Kraken on my St. Croix Imperial 5wt. This reel is amazing! The drag is great and the fit and finish is beautiful. Easily being able to stop and turn around large steelhead was a big surprise!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2014, 12:19 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

My new Allen Trout 2 with a wf4f Allen line.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 05-19-2014, 03:47 AM

roar will become famous soon enoughroar will become famous soon enough
Thumbs down Re: Reel Love; the Fly Reel Picture Thread

The first time I used this Edward vom Hofe reel With my Carron rod I landed 2 springers in river Dee in Scotland.

---------- Post added at 01:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 AM ----------

And that was my first try of adding a Picture

Dont think it worked

Last edited by roar; 05-19-2014 at 04:27 AM. Reason: No picture
Old 05-19-2014, 06:34 AM

roar will become famous soon enoughroar will become famous soon enough

One more try

Reel Love; the Fly Reel Picture Thread