The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2234Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2014, 08:05 AM

Location: South Florida & the White Mountains of New Hampshire
MAD777 has a spectacular aura aboutMAD777 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Reel Love; the Fly Reel Picture Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggravy View Post
New addition to the quiver just arrived today. It's going to make it's new home on a SLT 389-4 (my favorite rod). I'm really pumped about the combo. The reel looks like it has never been fished, though there is a little blueing on the "drag" wheel. It came attached to en equally mint RPL 590, though I will probably send that on it's way.

Click the image to open in full size.
If I had to pick one reel as the best looking, which would be difficult, this would be it. And I just missed owning one off the big auction site last week; I dozed off at the wrong time. Which reminds me, it's time to go kick myself again!
Old 08-17-2014, 09:00 AM

buggravy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannafish View Post
If I was a collector, I'd have the whole series of these reels. Just love 'em.
It really does make me want another. I know where there's a mint 505L, but it's $350. Probably too rich for my blood, though it is tempting.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:49 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen a number of the 500 Series reels in hand, and they are to my eye, absolutely beautiful. Two company who's products I admire coming together to issue a stunning and highly functional reel. The only part of the design that I am not overly fond of is the spindle cover on the back of the reel. I don't mind the aesthetics, but they have been known to pop out. These are pretty similar to many models that Hardy issued, most of which have a metal cover that won't come off without significant effort. That's not to say I'd shy away from them because of this but it is something to be mindful of.

Your 504L will pair beautifully with your 389 SLT, which in itself is indeed worthy of mention and a photo of them mated in the Rod Love thread. That's a fun rod to fish as has been my experience with every SLT I've had my hands on.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:01 PM

ponycarman has a spectacular aura aboutponycarman has a spectacular aura aboutponycarman has a spectacular aura about

Its not the prettiest or best reel but it is whats going on my 3wt redington ct. It is my first self built outfit and my first light outfit. Can't wait to fish it. Got the reel in today. Found it on ebay and got it for a descent price. Pretty nice for the money. Tough enough too. First thing I did when getting it out of the box was drop it about 4ft onto the paved driveway. Smooth move lol. It put a couple tiny scuffs in the finish but barely noticeable. Its smooth and the drag seems to work just fine. I like it for a budget reel.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:56 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

nice one!
i've had a few sierras and they are nice, smooth reels.
the stainless disc drag is suprisingly nice for the cost

casey
ponycarman likes this.

ARFE
Old 08-27-2014, 08:07 PM

ponycarman has a spectacular aura aboutponycarman has a spectacular aura aboutponycarman has a spectacular aura about

Thanks! It is pretty nice for the money. Would be better if it didn't have the scuffs from the drop lol. Oh well haha. I'm sure it will work fine. Gonna use a 3wt double taper I believe. Should be just fine.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:37 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute

cfo II just got. 76 bucks on auction. thats with orvis backing and dt2 line.
new glass coming soon)))

casey

ARFE
Old 08-27-2014, 09:04 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Casey!

That's about the best deal I've seen on a CFO II buddy. If ever you decide you're going to move that along do keep me in mind.

What a beauty!
caseywise likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-27-2014, 09:11 PM

yeah, i couldn't believe it
i emailed the seller back and thats what he wanted.
but sorry man, this ones staying with me.
now a vintage orvis rod.....for like a hundred bucks

ARFE
Old 08-28-2014, 09:11 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

That little feller looks about the same now as it did in the 1980's when it was made. What vintage Orvis rod do you hope to mate that too?