The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2273Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2011, 10:06 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Reel Love, the fly reel thread

first vom hofe i've ever layed my eyes on.
quite a piece of work

casey

ARFE
Old 09-28-2011, 01:08 PM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

I absolutely adore the Vom Hofes and Zwarg reels. My father in law has a VERY extensive collection of them, and more old pfluegers than I care to count. The one I posted was a wedding gift. I have more...subsequent gifts.... but none that like that one. I will take some more picks and post them.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I'll be watching, admittedly I've got a thing for reels.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-28-2011, 01:31 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Only thing my ex father-in-law gave me was his daughter. I gave her back!
Old 09-28-2011, 03:10 PM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

I love reels too. These are "collectors", not "users" in my book, but I know that one reel I sold on ebay went to Finland, and was going on a spey rod there. All i could think about was the fishermen taking aspill on some rocks and....to ugly to think about.... So, here are two that I kept for one reason or another. The first is a Otto Zwarg Model 300 in 2/0 size:

Click the image to open in full size.

The second is an Edward Vom Hofe Model 348 in a 6/0 size....A really big reel!

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Old 09-28-2011, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

What would a reel like the Zwarg sell for, if you know........

I'm editing this in as a 'Still in service' photo of my Featherweight last Sunday. Along with the reel is the rod I bought for it in 1979, we're like a well oiled team and like any good friend I take their picture now and then.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
von behr likes this.

Last edited by Hardyreels; 09-28-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:59 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Love those Hardys! I had posted the following as an answer to a question on another forum asking what was your favorite reel company; Short answer: HARDY Long answer is kind of a life story but I'll shorten it. I fished atlantics with my father in the late 70's/early 80's mostly from a river boat on the Saint John river below the Mactaquac dam (Burpee bar pool). At first he wouldn't let me cast for his own safety and I caught my first and second atlantic the same day just dangling my line from the boat(4lb and 15 lb). I was hooked at 11 yrs old
I've never forgotten the sound of Dad's reel. It was a deep throaty intoxicating sound that made my Japanese Major Medallion (cheap reel) sound sick.
Life happened and fishing didn't for the next 26 years. A trip to the Miramichi with a bunch of guys and a good run of fish and I was "re-hooked" at 43. The Major Medallion wasn't cutting it to say the least so I began the search for a reel like Dad's. Not knowing the make or model, I had to go on the memory of the sound and look of the reel. After a month of research I decided it might have been a Hardy Saint John. This was surprising to me because Dad usually used "cheap" gear. Then I discovered an old reel in some camping gear; a Weber Kalahatch made in the U.S.A. in the 20's and I guessed this must have been Dad's reel. I even bought one for $35 on-line for sentimental reasons but I was disappointed I had been wrong about Dad owning a Hardy.
On our trip last summer, I was unloading gear for my brother-in-law and noticed he had one of my father's old $20 glass rods. When I looked to see what brand of cheap reel might be paired with it I could hardly believe my eyes; A battered old Hardy Saint John! Not being a fly fisherman, my brother-in-law imediately insisted I take it and that my father had loaned it to him some years before for a trip telling him to "keep it and I'll know where it is."
These reels are true classics that have stood the test of time.

Hardyreels, smog7 and von behr like this.

Last edited by wannafish; 10-06-2011 at 09:02 PM. Reason: photos were deleted by mistake
Old 09-28-2011, 08:17 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannafish View Post
A battered old Hardy Saint John! Not being a fly fisherman, my brother-in-law imediately insisted I take it and that my father had loaned it to him some years before for a trip telling him to "keep it and I'll know where it is."
Great story! It's nice to know that reel ended up in the right hands!
Old 09-28-2011, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! Real honest wear on that, the rims rubbed from a fellow handling it for many years, the right amount of 'boat rash', but clean as a whistle inside. I know you were happy to take that home with you. I use one or another type of Hardy every time I fish and the sound of the check when a fish peels line from the spool is a big part of my life story.

Congratulations on getting the family heirloom, and thanks for posting that reel!

Ard

Old 09-29-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
What would a reel like the Zwarg sell for, if you know........

I'm editing this in as a 'Still in service' photo of my Featherweight last Sunday. Along with the reel is the rod I bought for it in 1979, we're like a well oiled team and like any good friend I take their picture now and then.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Well, of course the market determines the price.....but, I would estimate the Zwarg would bring $1500 to $1800 at an auction like Lang's. I have sold a few on Ebay for that price range. The Vom Hofes bring much higher prices, usually double to three times the Zwarg prices. The number one that I posted earlier in this thread brought $5200, if it had a lower serial number it would have been more.

---------- Post added at 05:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 AM ----------

[QUOTE=wannafish;324291]Love those Hardys! I had posted the following as an answer to a question on another forum asking what was your favorite reel company; Short answer: HARDY Long answer is kind of a life story but I'll shorten it. I fished atlantics with my father in the late 70's/early 80's mostly from a river boat on the Saint John river below the Mactaquac dam (Burpee bar pool). At first he wouldn't let me cast for his own safety and I caught my first and second atlantic the same day just dangling my line from the boat(4lb and 15 lb). I was hooked at 11 yrs old
I've never forgotten the sound of Dad's reel. It was a deep throaty intoxicating sound that made my Japanese Major Medallion (cheap reel) sound sick.
Life happened and fishing didn't for the next 26 years. A trip to the Miramichi with a bunch of guys and a good run of fish and I was "re-hooked" at 43. The Major Medallion wasn't cutting it to say the least so I began the search for a reel like Dad's. Not knowing the make or model, I had to go on the memory of the sound and look of the reel. After a month of research I decided it might have been a Hardy Saint John. This was surprising to me because Dad usually used "cheap" gear. Then I discovered an old reel in some camping gear; a Weber Kalahatch made in the U.S.A. in the 20's and I guessed this must have been Dad's reel. I even bought one for $35 on-line for sentimental reasons but I was disappointed I had been wrong about Dad owning a Hardy.
On our trip last summer, I was unloading gear for my brother-in-law and noticed he had one of my father's old $20 glass rods. When I looked to see what brand of cheap reel might be paired with it I could hardly believe my eyes; A battered old Hardy Saint John! Not being a fly fisherman, my brother-in-law imediately insisted I take it and that my father had loaned it to him some years before for a trip telling him to "keep it and I'll know where it is."

Ther is nothing on this Earth more important to me than family. That reel is a true prize, worth more than all the Zwargs and Vom Hofes combined. No amount of money can buy the memories attached to it. Congrats on finding it!
Hardyreels likes this.