The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2152Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2009, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Cortland LTD Graphite #60

Here's one that I don't see many of, I use this on a 6'3" 5wt that is my spring steelhead outfit. You read that right; the creek I catch the largest trout in is not big enough to be swinging a 9 or 13' rod around in so I have adapted to the conditions that prevail.

The reel was made in England, hum, suspicious, the drag is strong and has handled fish up to 26" that take off for the sea when hooked. They also offer an exposed rim if you need it.

LTD Graphite #60;

Click the image to open in full size.
von behr and sbreech like this.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:00 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: My Old Favorite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
[SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]
The Featherweight
Hardyreels... I see you have one screw holding the line guard, mine has two. Is there a good way to find the date mine was manufactured?
Old 11-21-2009, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Old Favorite

Pw to you on this

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-22-2009, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Default Orvis CFO reels;

I have owned three of these and I believe that for a classic pawl drag reel they are state of the art at a reasonable cost.

My CFO IV trout reel;

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

This is a 1987 double pawl drag reel that has been maintained to mint condition. I had learned my lesson about scuffing up reels by 87'.

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 PM ----------

I never wanted to be one of those guys who hollers "Fish ON, or Coming Down" every time I hook a salmon. I like to stand my ground and turn a fish bringing it to shore at every reasonable opportunity. Only in the case of the largest fish will I follow a running salmon more than five or ten yards along the beach. The secret to landing fish and not allowing them to run you down the river is a simple two prong attack. #1 use a heavy leader, (you're not casting to a stocked trout here) and #2 use reels with a smooth control range over a powerful drag. My Odyssey reels are good, really good but this is the 'Control Freak'.

The Cascapedia 8/9 Salmon Reel;

Of all the hardware I've used to hook and land a big fish, this reel is the best I've ever owned.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:28 AM
Administrator

Default Lamson Velocity 3.5

This is the most modern looking and designed reel I own. I use it with a 9' 7wt. trout / light salmon rig. I like both the appearance and the performance of these reels.

Velocity 3.5;

PS. I sold both the rod & reel after using them only a couple times. I'll leave the pic because it's a neat reel. I have 2 of the Hardy Viscount LA 7/8 reels and several other 7 weights so I sold this set and bought some other stuff

Last edited by Hardyreels; 06-07-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:39 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Lamson Velocity 3.5

The first reel I ever purchased says shakespeare omni 44 on it, but it looks identical to a 1494 series medalist. I bought a fiberglass 6 weight rod, I have to look to remember the brand, but it was cheap. Funny, I put some rods up on the wall, and my first rod and reel went up yesterday. I had put the reel on an old bamboo I just cleaned up, but now want to swap it back to the original, since it was my first combo. I almost bought a new medalist Saturday to put up on the wall with these old rods, but decided to just find one in a garage sale since it is never going to be used. The old Omni (medalist) still works like new. Maybe I should pull it off the wall and use it again it has a little plastic knob on the back right side of the reel (left hand retrieve) to adjust drag, and this still works too.

D
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Lamson Velocity 3.5

Dave,

I no longer have my first, second, or third fly reels. First was a black skeletal type who's maker I don't remember. Second came a South Bend 1147 or 1200 finalist. These were the big burgundy ones that sorta looked like a Pflueger Medalist, circa 1967. The third was an Olympic that I lent to a fellow in the late seventies and never got it back. I have no idea what became of the first two. I keep thinking on buying copies on eBay but have pretty well left go of that Idea. I do still have my Ike Walton 6' 8" solid glass rod, no there's a regular stick for ya.

Ard
Old 11-23-2009, 11:28 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reel Love, the fly reel thread

Funny you should mention Olympic reels, Ard. Here's the first fly reel I owned,
bought 30+ years ago....

I used that reel until about 9 years ago, when a shop owner told me it was
"out-dated".

I still use it on occasion, but on cane rods. It's 100% in terms of condition,
and the chrome is perfect. I paid around $15 new.

---------- Post added at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 PM ----------

After being told my Olympic was outdated (like the fish had been updated ), I began buying "better" reels. Of all that I owned, I like the
Ross Rhythm and Evolution best. Why? I can set the drag and it stays there;
they really are maintenance-free; I don't have to think about my reel while
fishing.

Click the image to open in full size.[COLOR="Silver"]
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:28 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Funny how many old reels look similar to Pflueger Reels - that olympic for example I wonder if they were just knock offs or if they were made by Pflueger for the company.

I was just looking around on the net (re my old shakespeare reel) and found out that in 1966 shakespeare bought Pflueger, not surprising that my old shakespeare omni 44 reel looks like a medalist now is it.

Funny what you can find out in a few minutes on the web

d
Old 11-23-2009, 10:51 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

My Olympic was made in Japan. I don't know when Pflueger stopped making
reels in Ohio, so......??? The Olympic has an overall diameter of 3.5", and a
spool diameter of 3". Weight is about 5oz.

P.S. I tried to post the Olympic and Ross reels in separate posts, but the
site made the second post an edit.