The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2229Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 09:04 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Reel Love, the fly reel thread

I'll do one in the morning and post it, they have a different tension configuration than the old Hardy models did.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-09-2011, 11:41 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

my lamsons. great reels
Click the image to open in full size.
i love this thread!

casey

---------- Post added at 11:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 PM ----------

sorry guys,horrible lighting. i'll try and get a better shot when ever the sun comes out. or whenever i get my floods set up
Hardyreels and kelkay like this.

ARFE
Old 12-10-2011, 07:43 AM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough

My newest Bauer, the CFX4........

Hardyreels, von behr and argail like this.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:23 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

lamsons, in day light

casey
Hardyreels and von behr like this.

ARFE
Old 12-10-2011, 01:43 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

I thought I'd offer up this one for the thread. It's a 1993 McNeese A/R 3.2 Bonefish model.

Here's one for Wishin', nine more Bauers & a few spools for the thread.
There's a rogue Orvis & Ross in the mix too.

Last edited by Hardyreels; 12-11-2011 at 08:47 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

You guys are experiencing Reel Love aren't ya,

Casey, have you been hanging around the Lamson dealer too much?

Trekker,

That's the only McNeese on here, very nice. What's the back plate look like, and is that anti reverse?

Wannafish,

Here is the clicker set up on that Viscount, first picture is with tension full off.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Here it is full on, you can see how the cam has pulled the springs tight.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

The tension knob on the back plate operates a cam that draws the spring tighter as you dial it up. The spring simply applies more resistance to the pawl being able to flip. This is a fine set up for trout fishing with a good range of drag tension and if you hook into a heavyweight you then use the hand.
caseywise and leithel like this.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:00 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
You guys are experiencing Reel Love aren't ya,

Trekker,

That's the only McNeese on here, very nice. What's the back plate look like, and is that anti reverse?

Yes it's an anti-reverse ( A/R ) alright.
I went ahead and added two more photos to include it's back plate and guts.

T 7075 aluminum and a full length Vespel bearing made it unique for 93.

Thank you, TT
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Thanks, I'll go have a look................

What the heck, you might as well add the dimensions, weight and all if you know it. I vacillated around a Billy Pate Salmon for my #7 rods for years and really admire this type of reel.

Ard

Ok I saw them, cool. it has a drag similar to an Orvis Odyssey IV I have. That will stop a truck I'll bet.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:54 PM

Hi Ard,

McNeese A/R 3.2 Bonefish.
3.2" Dia.
My original documentation on the reel, says she'll take a WF 10 + 250 yds. of 30 lb. backing and that the first run of the series was field tested in 1991.
I ordered it ( with engraving ) from Dave McNeese while we were both exhibiting at the International Sportsmen's Expo in San Mateo CA in March of '93.
Original purchase price in 1993: $565.00
Puts todays reel prices into perspective.

There is no stated weight in the paperwork, but as you know most of the saltwater reels of that time weren't being built with slim waste lines.
One of the reasons I'm not overly impressed with lighter and lighter fly rods is, I have no intention of putting my reels on a diet and like the old saying goes, " it's cheaper to keep her ". That's in keeping with the Reel Love theme of this thread.

At that show, I was tossing around the idea of the early Ross S.W. series and Abel reels. I ended up going with the McNeese then, but over the years Abels filled most of my 7-Up spots.

TT
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:20 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

How do we go about seeing the McNeese pictures?
Hardyreels likes this.