The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2234Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 01:57 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reel Love, the fly reel thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vans View Post
I would love to know just about anything about them. I cant really find any info on them online,
It's a Japanese knock-off with a compression drag similar to the Ocean City 76. Inexpensive but not a bad reel
Old 12-31-2011, 01:27 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

A pretty common reel then i am assuming. Well, i will clean it up, put some 5wt line on it and keep it with the backpack fly/spin rod i got at the same time. Maybe some day it will get some use.

Here is my new 7wt set up i am dieing to use. After an abnormally dry Dec, we finally got some rain to move the steelhead up into the rivers. Of course we got a deluge that completely destroyed river conditions for fishing. All the rivers are raging chocolate torrents. Need a few days of no or light rain to get them to settle down again. Fish should be moving though....

Click the image to open in full size.
Hardyreels and caseywise like this.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:13 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

The Gentleman has the 'Gift of Understatement.'

"After an abnormally dry Dec, we finally got some rain to move the steelhead up into the rivers. Of course we got a deluge that completely destroyed river conditions for fishing. All the rivers are raging chocolate torrents. Need a few days of no or light rain to get them to settle down again."

There's also an Oregon FF board and most of the posters live up/around the Portland area. Area got pounded with rain while the southern end of the State was under bright blue skies. We finally got an inch of rain (Medford area) at the end of this ..... Brookings (125'ish miles due west of us) ended up with well more than 5 in some reports.

Was damned interesting to look at the Chetco's flow gauge .... running at 600 cfs (a trickle) until the ground hit saturation. Then the graph line went straight up to 10,000 cfs in less than 18 hours.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:52 AM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Here's one to ring in the New Year.
It’s an Abel Super 8 with matching #4 Pliers, the pattern is called Carnival. The bright streaks of blue, gold, green and red are reminiscent of fireworks in the night sky.

Happy New Year.

TT

caseywise likes this.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:36 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Reel Love, the fly reel thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout trekker View Post
Here's one to ring in the New Year.
It’s an Abel Super 8 with matching #4 Pliers, the pattern is called Carnival. The bright streaks of blue, gold, green and red are reminiscent of fireworks in the night sky.

Happy New Year.

TT
Don't forget to accessorize with the matching nippers and knife.

In all serious, nice set.

Dennis
Old 01-02-2012, 12:59 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Hey Dennis,

It's been a while. I was down at your old digs the other day and saw some trout art fly boxes that would've matched up nicely with Abel's trout themed finishes and I thought, " Why didn't Abel or Wheatley think of that? ". Just as we can now have an Abel refinished. I'd go for it if Wheatley came up with a way to refinish my old 1609 or 4602/1.5F aluminum fly boxes with species specific finishes.

TT
Old 01-02-2012, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

TT, That is very cool!

Vans, That is a nice set you've got there also.

I have no new reel to offer since the Hardy Viscount was posted. I did send my Odyssey IV back to Orvis to have an issue with the drag sorted out so when it returns it'll be like getting a new one

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-02-2012, 06:50 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout trekker View Post
Hey Dennis,

It's been a while. I was down at your old digs the other day and saw some trout art fly boxes that would've matched up nicely with Abel's trout themed finishes and I thought, " Why didn't Abel or Wheatley think of that? ". Just as we can now have an Abel refinished. I'd go for it if Wheatley came up with a way to refinish my old 1609 or 4602/1.5F aluminum fly boxes with species specific finishes.

TT
We used to joke about that at the shop and at the shows. Next time I see Jeff Patterson of Abel at a show, I'll bug him. Most likely he will want to make one out of barstock aluminum.

The aluminum Simms boxes are Wheatleys with DeYoung graphics and a Simms logo. It would be great to get some old boxes refinished.

Dennis
Old 01-02-2012, 07:21 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Vans, That combo is exactly my style. I'm hearing lots of good things about those Echo rods. I may have to invest in a few.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:45 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Here's the stuff I fish most from left to right Pflueger 1498, Pflueger 1394, Ocean City No 77, and the Orvis Battenkill 6/7
I love them all, I've had my fair share of modern reels over time but I like the looks of the older reels.
Hardyreels likes this.